What is this frame detail for?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Just got a nice new to me ti frame. It has a little 'thing' sticking out from the drive side seat stay. I'm thinking it is for looping the chain over, but haven't seen one on a bike frame since the early nineties and the frame is newer than that. Is it simply what I think it is, or does it serve another purpose?

Attachments

• PSX_20211122_235058.jpg
    PSX_20211122_235058.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 56
  • PSX_20211122_235136.jpg
    PSX_20211122_235136.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 55
Hello,
You’re correct- it’s a chain hanger. Pretty handy when removing or inserting the rear wheel. It makes the process easier and protects the chainstay

Also known as a 'Chain pip". At one point it was simply an off-cut nail brazed in the stay.

Ti Airborne Corsair right?

Also known as a 'Chain pip". At one point it was simply an off-cut nail brazed in the stay.

Ti Airborne Corsair right?
Buy that man a beer. Great detective work from very little detail. How did you know?

BTW: You will not be disappointed with it. While they are all straight gauge Ti tubes, and they don't have the swanky segmented rear end of the Lucky Strike, they come in lighter than the Lucky Strike, strong and very well made. I like them because they don't need any pampering and are just a great all rounder.

Back