What have I bought?

Gtpulse

Dyna-Tech Fan
Recently acquired this frame for some of the parts that came with it.

Although it is badged as a Dave Marsh it doesn't look to me as good a quality as other Dave Marsh frames I have seen. It has been repainted at some point so may have the transfers from this.

What sort of frame would you call this? It has cantilever brakes and quite big clearance for mudguards etc but only one set of eyes for mudguards ie. not for racks as well otherwise I would assume it is a tourer. It is for 700c wheels, has a mech hanger but not downtube braze ons for cable stops. 1" head tube;english threaded bb;26.4mm seatpost size.

No frame number visible anywhere despite extensive scrubbing of dirt. Drop outs look to be of decent quality, makers name barely visible but starts with an "S".

Any help with identifying would be gratefully received!

Dave Marsh? by gtpulse78, on Flickr

Looks like a late 68's Carlton with Crespera lugs that someone has added a pile of braze ons and some new forks......

Mind you I have a soft spot for Carltons and tend to see them everywhere LOL

Is there a frame number?

Shaun

Re:

Thanks Shaun - that looks to be a spot on assessment. Your input seemed to feature in nearly all of the threads I searched for information so your soft spot for Carltons shines through!

I have to confess to having owned a few Carltons without really paying them much attention. I do remember as a teenager in the 90s picking up an all chrome Carlton track frame from an auction. It was only when I took it to my grandad (expert bike fettler and 1940s racer!) to find out how to add gears to it that I realised it was something decent. I sold it for £80 to put the money towards a car at the time.

Looks like someone, probably not Dave Marsh as it's a rubbish job, has painted the frame in the past. It looks like it could be a useful frame and certainly worth saving.

Is it because this is a production line frame that I perceive this to be of a lesser quality than for example my Rick Powell frame which is custom built?

Re:

The seat stay top eyes look wrong for a Raleigh/Carlton, and it would have 26 TPI Raleigh threads. Otherwise looks a general mid to low end frame.
Keith

Latest posts

Back