What drives me to do it? 2.0mm brake cable:can I get it new?

Rotorhead

Retro Guru
I made this rubbish purchase a couple of years ago of a 1992 Marin Pine Mountain, seduced by the colour scheme and presence of some old XT. Paid good money thinking it would scrub up but it was rotten to the core. Little was was usable, seatpost seized and even the mechs were too far gone.

But it was my size and it’s been gnawing away at me so I,ve started pouring the money in to resurrect it when it would be cheaper to buy something better. Paint guy has filled rust holes and done his work. Decals on their way from Gil, wheels and crankset winging in from someone on here.

So I need to consider the details. Can you still buy the old heavy duty (2mm?) cable or is it a case of resurrecting the old stuff?

Cheers

I’m sure I’ve got some NOS 2mm inner- love the stuff it’s proper man size brake cable and makes the other stuff look like cotton thread

And if you fancy white 6mm outter I’ve got over 30 meters of the stuff

Re:

Nice one Spud. If you’ll sell me the inner, pls PM. White outer would be radical but I need to find the original stuff first and inspect it. It’s probs at my dad’s in Somerset (your manor?) so that’ll take a few weeks.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

For an early Marin, 2mm brake cable is a must. The 1.6 stuff doesn’t sit in the roller well.

I’ve got some if you get stuck.

I think motorbike clutch or throttle cable is 2mm, so it’s easy to get housing and end caps for that.

Just get it from venhill. We by all our automotive cable from them. You can even have stainless! 2mm is about £2 a metre. They do 7 or 19 strand 2mm if memory serves me. Great people too. They also do ferrels, noodles, end etc. Also, monster outer iff you want big cable look.

I've bought 2 sets from ebay of genuine Shimano old stock, but it is short on Ferules, which is good to note the above post that Venhill are a source for these. This had been a stumbling block in using them.

minor_LEGEND":eaq1yr32 said:
I've bought 2 sets from ebay of genuine Shimano old stock, but it is short on Ferules, which is good to note the above post that Venhill are a source for these. This had been a stumbling block in using them.

Elpedro666 has ferrules if you only want to buy in small numbers

viewtopic.php?p=1730344#1730344

Latest posts

Back