1995 Claud Butler Titanius Campagnolo gravel job FINISHED

Calm yee self lad.... I promise I have absolutely no intention of starting another thankless task of building another mid 90's Claud with decidedly average kit again.....

Quick question though;
What would the consensus of opinion be regarding scratch built gravel bikes?
A. An MTB frame with road kit.
B. A road frame with MTB kit.
C. An MTB with drops.
D. A road bike with a flat bar & fat tyres.
E. All of the above because no one really cares.....

I suppose a lot depends on it's intended use? This bike will be used as a lunch time dash machine, just to keep my legs moving as I'm finding myself more & more sat behind a bloody desk however hard I try to resist...
So one ring up front, and an 8 speed 26 or 28 max tooth cassette, and likely to be road kit.... brakes will likely be MTB Canti's just because I've got loads of higher end nice ones that I don't want to sell and all my V stuff is low end just held for emergency spares.

A break from marking-

MTb with high rise stem, flared drops, bar end or thumb shifters road levers pulling canti brakes for the aesthetic but v if you're going for function, cross tyres of skinny but MTB style. Old non sloping geometry
thats my take BCB608A4-6AEF-4D6D-BC02-7E7999AA30DC.jpeg 0649C61E-EEBE-4537-A428-B39B296A66FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Having gone through the whole building a gravel type bike using a 90's mountain bike frame I have come to the conclusion that, other than the fun of building, it is a completely pointless exercise. The finished bike wasn't great on tarmac due to the choice of tyre (schwalbe cx pro) and wasn't great off tarmac due to the drop bars. However, a rigid 90's mountain bike with flat bars and an appropriate choice of tyres for the terrain would be just about perfect...

Having gone through the whole building a gravel type bike using a 90's mountain bike frame I have come to the conclusion that, other than the fun of building, it is a completely pointless exercise. The finished bike wasn't great on tarmac due to the choice of tyre (schwalbe cx pro) and wasn't great off tarmac due to the drop bars. However, a rigid 90's mountain bike with flat bars and an appropriate choice of tyres for the terrain would be just about perfect...
I have a feeling this might be just the case with this one... I'm just having fun with a silly build really.

I found the grey one a useful bike for mixed riding coping adequately with pretty much everything. I had this as my only steed for a year or so. Whatever the conditions it was always a compromise but meant road, to boggy fields, to rooty woodland trails, to tow paths and gravel, and even gentle downhill was achievable given a little care. It was best on fire roads and bridleways such as the ridgeway retro rides. The rugged build meant I wasn't worried, whereas a road bike would be a cause for concern, affecting enjoyment moreso than a little all-round inadequacy found with the mtb.

Have it ready for the next Station to Station ride and I'll bring mine. The proof of the pudding.....

Nope, I’ve ridden that on a ridged before, I won’t do it again as my old wrist bones just can’t hack it anymore

1st & hopefully last purchase for this project, a tidy set of 1:25” Tioga City Slickers courtesy of @2manyoranges 🍊🍊🍊
Just needed some shower time….😉 2F1427C6-8BD4-4862-87A3-CC8355B3FFBC.jpeg

Back