What brake levers should get?

onyerbike531

Retro Guru
Hello RBers.
I'm going to be putting together a retro build, well retro inspired and I'm planning on using a mix of older and newer parts.
The frame I have dates back to the mid '90s. I've already got an idea on what canti brakes I'm going run and I was wondering if Dia Compe SS6 levers would be suitable aesthetically?

My plan is to use as much STX stuff as possible apart from the braking where I I'll probably go Tektro cantis and Dia Compe levers

Transmission will be 3 x 7

Rims will be silver Halo White Lines laced to STX hubs, STX crankset etc, however I do have a Suntour XCD 4050 front derailleur, it's a bottom pull and the frame is designed to have a top pull, I might still use it with a pulley maybe?

Ultimately like to have some bluey-green gumwall Michelin Wildgrippers, I can dream haha.

What are your thoughts on the SS6 levers?

They're just a modern styled version of the SS5, so should look fine.
1629911234836.png
The STX RapidFire shifter can use silver or black mounts, though maybe look at some of the newer styled 7 speed shifters,

Don't bother with mechverter wheels unless your frame is fitted with a screw mount for it 1992/1993 era mostly have this.
IT's just another added friction and thing to not quite work and collect much.

Ok thanks for that, advice noted, I'll get the correct derailleur for the frame.

Could you recommend a couple of modern 3 x 7 shifters? the Shimano Altus M310 7 trigger shifter and it's x3 counterpart wouldn't look too out of place and don't appear to be something that will break the bank.

I never know how to make my build thread look organised.

It's a purple Saracen
All I've got is the frame and forks with headset and its seatpost, that's all at the moment. Update, I now have same Dia-Compe Power Control 7n levers and STX RC shifters courtesy of mk one and some Tektro RBP cantis on their way.

I'm planning on fitting mainly old school STX RC components with the exception of the brakes, levers.

Frame - Saracen Terratrax tange double butted cromoly (metallic purple) 1995 or '96
Stem - Saracen (not sure about length yet) silver
Bars - Ritchey or similar (silver)
Grips - Onza
Seat post - Saracen
Saddle - Ritchey Vector
Peddles - Silver DMR V8s platform peddles circa 1998 (in need of a service if possible)

Hubs - STX RC
Rims - Halo White Line (silver)
Spokes - DT Swiss
Tyres - Michelin Wild Gripper
Skewers - Hope anodised

Crankset - STX RC
F & R derailleurs - STX RC 3x8, unsure of band width atm.
Cassette - Shimano 8 speed (unsure of model yet)
Shifters - Shimano STX RC 3 x 8 (updated)

Brakes - Tektro RBP lightweight cantis (anodised red) (updated)
Levers - Dia Compe PC 7n (updated)
Cables - Jagwire, Clarks or Shimano, probably shimano

Have I missed anything off?

Last edited:
A build thread for me is basically just that, doesn't need to be organised. Mine are not. I try keep the first post (and a spare second blank post with quick links or updates. It's more my thoughts and blog of what I have done. (and now I can go back years later and see why i did that and where I got up to in the unfinished build ;-)

Ooo ooo, I know, I know.....(hand shoots up at the back of the class)....

If you are into STX you could use ..... STX levers. Reference the thread where I say they are my favourite levers (perhaps ever) and others say ‘hate them’....all good discussion

I have just sold a 9/10 set for 30.00 ... and here are some for more than twice that ...

They have the big merit of different leverage positions, and the two finger alloy levers themselves sit really nicely in the nook of the finger. At least they do on mine. They are light too.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Those are lovely, are they the servo wave ones? Can you use those with canti brakes?
Some of these things are going for a lot of money these days because of the love of all things retro - for me it's trying to recapture that feeling I got in when I was ripping around the hills and trails when 16 in the late '90s... Plus the older stuff trumps anything modern aesthetically, even though I can imagine the new stuff performs amazingly.

I laugh when people sell these old machines and say good for commuting and riding the canal paths like they can't handle being ridden off road with some clout and these retro v modern vids where it shows the old school bike underperforming when we all know they worked perfectly fine back in the day and you could throw them around no problem.

Back