Variations in XT (ST-M095) Right Side (7 speed) Shifter Pods

kjarrett

Retro Guru
Hi all,

I've noticed that XT 7-speed shifter pods have apparently two variants (see below). I'm assuming the one with two screws in the bottom cap is a later design? They also feel different (the one with the two screws has a slightly heavier action.) They've both been thoroughly cleaned and oiled.

Anyone know anything about the differences between these two, if any?

Thanks in advance.

-kj-

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 450
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 450
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 450
Re:

These “push/pull” pods fit on the older “push/push” handles. I ordered one by accident, and it fit... so no problem

Re:

look for the date stamp.if you want to get the year, I can't remember where it hides though.

on the originals (1992) the rear had a middle screw , the front had no middle screw.

and I think they switched over for 1993 to no middle screws...

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":yiv47ayu said:
look for the date stamp.if you want to get the year, I can't remember where it hides though.

on the originals (1992) the rear had a middle screw , the front had no middle screw.

and I think they switched over for 1993 to no middle screws...

Interesting, though it's the reverse of what I suspected, it's understandable - a cost cutting move, no doubt.

I'll have a look for any kind of stamping that could indicate the year.

The 'push-push' Rapidfires clearly show a screw in each lever cover: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 0.jpg.html

The 'push pull' Rapidfire Plus had a screw in the rear only: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 5.JPG.html

If there were a later version of the above doc, we'd know for sure, but your explanation/recollection seems reasonable.

-kj-

M900 STIs have the same difference, too. Reason: cost cutting/durability problems? The bolt in the centre can cause cracks (esp. when Conan puts his Ph. screwdriver in action) as I've seen it on some examples.

fearfactoryüberalles":2qo7ltta said:
M900 STIs have the same difference, too. Reason: cost cutting/durability problems? The bolt in the centre can cause cracks (esp. when Conan puts his Ph. screwdriver in action) as I've seen it on some examples.

Right, makes sense ... I just wish I could figure out why I have the gap on this shifter that I carefully rebuilt ... there's no center screw, just the smaller one. A center screw would ensure the thing goes together centered and aligned.

Putting this thing back together was a nightmare, tolerances were CRAZY TIGHT and required some serious dexterity. It did NOT come apart and go together easily. I was super careful not to damage anything.

Setting the seal in the middle was also super tricky but I did get it to seat properly, or so I thought ... this gap is not acceptable, it'll collect dirt and grime like crazy.

Hence my continued search/work on these pods...

-kj-

Attachments

• xxx.jpg
    xxx.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 388
Re:

To state the obvious, it looks crooked. Is it possible in the reassemble you put two items on same side instead of one rotated to left and one to right. Like snap rings or something like that. These shifters are Rube Goldberg contraptions

Or maybe push/pull arm is bent down or up Bumping them into each other. Could be photo angle but top skinny one looks Slightly bent down.

Indeed you are correct sir, it is obvious, wish I had noticed it before disassembly.

The lever is held in place with a central screw and small locking nut, which I carefully removed and put back (with a spot of thread locker) and I cannot for the life of me see any deformation or other alignment problem. Arms appear totally straight. Nothing is rubbing where it should not be.

That said, you are absolutely right about them being Rube Goldberg contraptions. The amount of finesse it took to even get the thing apart and back together was ridiculous.

Once I get the third (of three) pods in here (enroute from user KippertheDog) I'll have another one to compare it with. I'll likely take that one apart too and compare them.

Nutty to be bothered by such trivial things but, such is the life of a retiree / bike enthusiast / generally OCD indiidual...

Thanks, kj

Re:

did you take all of the silver metal top ratchet chunk apart too. I have always found that the hardest to get back together.

As for the rest, it's that one spring that needs to hook over that tiny bit..

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":30fa53vh said:
did you take all of the silver metal top ratchet chunk apart too. I have always found that the hardest to get back together.

As for the rest, it's that one spring that needs to hook over that tiny bit..

Did not take the ratchet mechanism apart ... looked too intricate.

YES! That teeny tiny little spring hooking over that teeny tiny little edge on the lever is easy to miss. It jumped down from its proper perch when I was cleaning and threw me off for a few minutes.

Just wish they came apart and went back together more easily.

Back