Van Nicholas Mam Tor

franco-c

Retro Newbie
Recently swapped my 2017 specialized FSR 650b stumpjumper for this as it wasn't for me, pretty happy with it but thinking about putting my own stamp on it already!

It has been made into a sort of 1x by removal of inner chainring and shifter, not sure whether to go back to 2x as i have the other shifter or do the 1x properly as it is only 9spd at the minute, will wait and see after a few rides, advice appreciated on that.

I am going to convert a set of Mavic 317 wheels I have into a second set with semi slicks for town/light trails, looking to make an allrounder, not much downhill action in lincolnshire anyway!

Also feels like i'm hanging over the bars a bit so as I cant raise stem height may go for shorter reach with a higher lift and then maybe some riser bars if needed, seen Hope AM stem that is 50mm long with 20 deg lift but would mean going to 31mm bars, any advice on retro alternatives would be appreciated.

Specs:

- Van Nicholas Titanium 2009
- German A kilo parallelogram air spring fork, remote lockout (super light weight)
- Tune stem "Geiles Teil"
- Tune seat post "Starkes Stück"
- Tune Carbon fibre Speedneedle saddle
- Ritchey WCS grips
- Sram X0 tango limited Edition shifter
- Sram X0 tango limited edition carbon cage rear mech
- Mavic Crossmax Ceramic wheel set with crossride tyres
- Avid Juicy Ultimate disc brakes Carbon fibre levers 180mm front 160mm rear
- XTR M960 single crank set

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 933
  • s-l1600 (1)2.jpg
    s-l1600 (1)2.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 932
  • s-l16001.jpg
    s-l16001.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 931
Re:

Nice!

Regards stem/bars - each to their own but I’d go with hope am and risers.

It’ll handle nicer and be so much more comfy to ride.

At least give it a try!

A short stem and riser bars definitely improved the feel of my mid 2000s Van Nicholas Zion. I eventually found some titanium riser bars which still had the older standard.

Cheers guys, I can find the bars easy enough its the retro stem i'm struggling with more, well one that also matches the look of the bike anyway, not keen on a black one but ill keep looking.

im unsure about the crazy forks at the minute which may also have something to do with the feel, i have a pair of Manitou black forks off my 2005 rockhopper so will chuck them on and see what the difference is, i do like the unusual look of them though.

Spectacular. I like orange and those forks are mad.

Regarding the gears, I'm currently running 1x9 on X0 myself (34t max at the back) and there's no denying the limited range gets in the way. If top's a bit low and bottom is a bit high that probably means you've got the balance right but what I really don't like is the chain deflection when winching up a hill. Then again, the harder climbing is, the fitter you get, so I'll stick with it!

adroitstif":1nlnq2b9 said:
Spectacular. I like orange and those forks are mad.

Regarding the gears, I'm currently running 1x9 on X0 myself (34t max at the back) and there's no denying the limited range gets in the way. If top's a bit low and bottom is a bit high that probably means you've got the balance right but what I really don't like is the chain deflection when winching up a hill. Then again, the harder climbing is, the fitter you get, so I'll stick with it!

Cheers mate,

Noob question, could I go 10 at the back with the XO derailleur/shifter or is that not possible? I am not clued up on what you can and cant do with the gearing.

Alternatively as I have the front shifter it wouldn't be too hard to go 2x at the front instead as the fittings are there to put second chainring on and then a new front mech or am i missing something?

Shifter won't have enough clicks for ten speed. X-0 rear derailleur doesn't like the 34t cog either - it sort of binds up on mine. You could consider a WolfTooth Roadlink (wiggle sells them for example) to drop the rear derailleur an inch so it can handle bigger cogs at the back. But then you're still left with a shiny orange shifter you can't use! I'd either stick with 1x9 to save weight, or fix a front mech to go 2x9 and get a good range of gears but also an extra pound of weight.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Running basically the same on a couple of mine:

Attachments

• 80E56541-D180-4A88-A327-EA161FBED0EF.jpeg
    80E56541-D180-4A88-A327-EA161FBED0EF.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 674
  • C113D507-A908-4507-9D18-BC0BFFCD6A5C.jpeg
    C113D507-A908-4507-9D18-BC0BFFCD6A5C.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 674
Thanks for the advice guys, will probably go back to 2x on the front for now as im too unfit/fat for 1x9 and its not going to cost much to do then decide where to go from there, would like to get the matching truativ noir crankset for the xo but they seem rare as hens teeth in the orange and priced to match

One more noob question, will a 3x front mech also work with a 2x setup incase i want to put a 3rd ring on in future or do i have to use a 2x mech?

Back