V Brake 100-120mm forks...

Fudd

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So I'm after the above from around 1999-2003ish but not sure what the options are. I've seen Fox RLC with adjustable travel which would be 2004 at least so what else is out there. I'm guessing Marzocchi were one of the best at the time but it's a brand I'm unfamiliar with and have no idea what's what in the range. Oh, and they must be black or dark grey (M952 build). Over to you...
 

suburbanreuben

Old School Grand Master
Re:

Magura Ronins were fantastic forks ! 110 mm of buttery smooth travel...
adjustments for just about everything...
And light!
 

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Re:

Depends on how much you are fussed about being period correct. Of the era, Marz, as above, magura, manitou and rock shox are the usual suspects, fox from around 04. I'm not too fussed about period correctness, prefer as good as I can get functionally over era. I'm lucky enough to have some more modern forks with v mounts, 32mm sid works cups, reba world cups and fox float rlc fit, pace rc39 to name a few. In my opinion worth sacrificing period to get performance, not to mention service and parts availability (though aside from the pace forks, I do my own servicing).
 

Fudd

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Re: Re:

suburbanreuben":16s4o0r8 said:
Magura Ronins were fantastic forks ! 110 mm of buttery smooth travel...
adjustments for just about everything...
And light!

110mm would be perfect and I'd not considered those so thanks for the suggestion. Nothing on Ebay atm but a very clean one sold for £90 in May.

ishaw":16s4o0r8 said:
Depends on how much you are fussed about being period correct. Of the era, Marz, as above, magura, manitou and rock shox are the usual suspects, fox from around 04. I'm not too fussed about period correctness, prefer as good as I can get functionally over era. I'm lucky enough to have some more modern forks with v mounts, 32mm sid works cups, reba world cups and fox float rlc fit, pace rc39 to name a few. In my opinion worth sacrificing period to get performance, not to mention service and parts availability (though aside from the pace forks, I do my own servicing).

The frame is a Turner from 1999 and V brake only but I'm not too bothered about period correct, only as long as it has mounts for both V and disc. I'm currently using RC36's but they're in dire need of a service and a stronger spring. Saying that, I do have a disc only seat stay in the post if I ever decide to go down that route and it's not out of the question that it'll be built in a restomod stylee at some stage in the future...
 

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Re:

If you like your pace forks, send them to fork English for a service and new springs. Just had my rc39s done and whilst they were in great shape before, even better now.
 

Fudd

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Re: Re:

ishaw":1ad9ahs7 said:
If you like your pace forks, send them to fork English for a service and new springs. Just had my rc39s done and whilst they were in great shape before, even better now.

80mm travel on the RC36 on a frame designed for 100-120mm so not really suitable. Fox Vanilla are looking like the favourites right now with the ability to adjust the travel between 100 and 130mm and I do like the plushness of a coil, plus they're black which is the favored colour.

There's a pair on Ebay right now but if anyone reading this has some sitting unused...
 

sectionate

Old School Hero
Re: Re:

ishaw":3909bmfa said:
Depends on how much you are fussed about being period correct. Of the era, Marz, as above, magura, manitou and rock shox are the usual suspects, fox from around 04. I'm not too fussed about period correctness, prefer as good as I can get functionally over era. I'm lucky enough to have some more modern forks with v mounts, 32mm sid works cups, reba world cups and fox float rlc fit, pace rc39 to name a few. In my opinion worth sacrificing period to get performance, not to mention service and parts availability (though aside from the pace forks, I do my own servicing).

Amen to that, there are some items from 20 years ago that should be consigned to the scrap heap (square tapers anyone)
 
Top