Unusual Bottom bracket dilemma - *now sorted thanks to RB!*

boy"O"boy

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all.

As a huge fan of the Orange Aluminium "O" - you can imagine my excitement at scoring the prototype Aluminium "O" or "The Iceman" as it has become known from Cheshire1980 :cool:
There are several unique features that set this apart from the 4 generations of production models.....but the one that has got me scratching my head is the bottom bracket.

The shell width is 88mm
The shell is threadless with a groove on one side...could this be for a circlip of some sort?

So, looking at what I could purchase as a suitable bottom bracket...I've drawn a blank🤔😩

Something like a frame saver or threadless bottom bracket would be the ideal solution....the axle widths and square tapers are ideal for period XT or XC Pro cranks I plan to use.
The problem is....they are all 68mm shell widths.🙄

Any one know of any bottom brackets that would suit the 88mm shell width?
- what would have been installed in period back in the day?
- Did any other frame manufacturers adopt this set-up?.....I can only think Pace, but that uses a bullseye spindle. 🙄🤔

All advice and recommendations greatly appreciated.

Cheers
boy"O"boy 20210413_184420.jpg 20210413_201326.jpg 20210413_201252.jpg 20210413_201403.jpg THREADLESS-Bottom-Bracket-for-damaged-Bicycle-frame-threads-_1.jpg

Not sure what it was designed to use, but to get by, what about one with adjustable width like a Cooks? Or maybe Royce could make you a special?

Good call Rampage....just googled Fisher CR7 and Hoo Koo E Koo bottom brackets and that could be the solution!
As this "O" is a prototype - I can imagine that the Evolution 1 1/4" headset size and bottom bracket spec would have been influenced in it's design from the above Fishers. The bottom bracket on this frame never made it to the production version however...

Pace press fitted the bearings into the shell...of the top of my head...I think it's a 100mm shell, I'd have to go and measure... 🤔
The driveside bullseye has a shaft attached- like modern hollowtech ones...and is clamped together using the non-drive side.

I'm hoping it's something like this.... s-l400.jpg

Pretty sure its Fisher. Will be taking the cranks off my CR7 this week if you need to know the ID of the BB shell for comparison. Bit more info on Fisher BB's here, page 5. Fisher 1989

Thanks doctor bond.
That's certainly an option....I'll definitely investigate.
I didn't know adjustable widths were available...everyday is a school day! 💡

Thanks gtturbo

Yep. I think you're right. That's definitely the one. 👍
A CR7 has been on my want list for sometime. 😎.....Nice one sold on eBay last weekend.

cheers
boy"O"boy Screenshot_20210413-221106_Drive.jpg

Latest posts

Back