Unloved Guerciotti GL.....

sherlylock

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Spotted this beauty on fb marketplace last week....badly advertised with just 3 photos the flite saddle and what looked like Mavic GP4 stickers piqued my interest. A quick Google search for Guerciotti confirmed that I should probably send a "Is this still available?" message. :LOL:

It was still available so I arranged to collect it that evening - it was over an hour away but I thought it was worth the journey (fully expecting to be gazumped at some point during the day).

When I collected it the first thing the guy said to me was "So whats so special about this bike then? We've had 12 people asking after it....!"

At that point I wasn't actually sure how good the bike was.....I'd taken a bit of a punt based on some quick internet research. Anyway, now it's home and I've had a good look round it I'm pretty pleased with my purchase.....It's better than I had expected....looks hardly used, but has suffered from years of neglect - presumably sitting in an outhouse or barn.

It's filthy and there are some small painted in areas of corrosion on the frame.......and there is corrosion on the component fixing bolts and other hardware. The bar tape is grim and the tubular tyres are knackered (but seemingly hold air).

Haven't done a lot to it since I picked it up other than strip the bar tape and take the bars off....with the intention of fitting a different stem. Will be stripping it back to the frame to give it a good clean and inspection.......

Trying to work out what model it is......seemingly looks like an '83-'85 frame (based on Guerciotti catalogues that I could find online).....and I think it's a GL frame (as it's Columbus SL tubing and not SLX tubing - those frames had chrome forks/stays as far as I can tell).

Components seem to be a bit later though - mostly Campag all round, but my knowledge of Campag components is very limited so I'll be asking advice on these I'm sure! One thing I did find under the grime is a 50th anniversary Campag rear hub! Interesting to read up the history of that groupset....apparently Pope John Paul II was given groupset No.2 as a gift! No skewer with it though unfortunately. That dates from '83 but I'm sure the rest of the components are early nineties. Velobase is down at the mo so I can't research quite so easily......

Complete bike currently weighs in at 9.7kg/21.4lbs

Some pics:

3jrdEzzl.jpg
YlUyT9Wl.jpg

BGkg4z6l.jpg
Raap1wnl.jpg

0Nv9Yp5l.jpg
zpuZqk7l.jpg

UMuKMZxl.jpg
0B5o1Efl.jpg

AcHZPFWl.jpg
qbu0Rrhl.jpg

0Ksr3Zcl.jpg

Re: Unloved Guergiotti GL.....

rubbing down rusty chromed components with a piece of tinfoil can make a big difference.

Looks like it'll clean up well

Re: Unloved Guergiotti GL.....

cce":2jj4zspg said:
rubbing down rusty chromed components with a piece of tinfoil can make a big difference.

Looks like it'll clean up well

It's got potential! Looking forward to transforming it.

Alongside alu foil I've used fine wire wool/GT-85 and Oxalic acid to good effect to remove rust.

Re:

Well spotted by you, too.. a good score, I'd say, especially if you paid the "some rusty old racing bike" price. Just have to hope that Mr. Corrosion has given the bike as little attention as the previous owner did.

Re: Re:

torqueless":15ydh8ch said:
Well spotted by you, too.. a good score, I'd say, especially if you paid the "some rusty old racing bike" price. Just have to hope that Mr. Corrosion has given the bike as little attention as the previous owner did.

Got lucky on this one - I've missed out on a couple of handbuilt bikes that have been badly advertised this year....about time I landed one. :D

Corrosion-wise I think all is good with no frame killers. A patch under the front derailleur, the cable guide loops on the top tube and a bit of flaking paint at the top of the seat stays. Will update with photos once it's fully stripped and cleaned up.

Just pasting this here......will edit/update as and when I know what components I have bolted to the bike!

Frame: Guerciotti GL. Columbus SL tubing

Fork: Columbus SL Tubing

Headset: Campagnolo
Stem:
Handlebar: 3TTT Super Criterium ErgoPower
Bar Tape:

Brake Levers/Brifters:
Brake Calipers:
Brake Pads:
Brake Cables:

Shifters:
Front Derailleur:
Rear Derailleur:
Derailleur Cables:
Cassette:
Chain:
Cranks:
Chainrings:
Bottom Bracket:
Pedals:

Rims:
Hubs: Front - Suntour Rear - Campagnolo 50th Anniversary - 1983
Hub Skewers: Front - Suntour Rear - Mavic
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres:
Tubes:

Saddle: Flite Titanium - Perforated - 1995
Seatpost:
Seatpost Binder:

Bottle Cage:
Extras:

Weight: 9.7kg / 21.4lbs

HoldsworthBen":cqtdl8gl said:
Looks like its going to be a great project. Enjoy!
Cheers - enjoying this so far.....looking forward to riding it! :)

All stripped down....bottom bracket drive-side cup initially put up a fight, mainly because I assumed a LH-thread like most other bb cups. Oh...no...not the Italians. Std RH thread for the drive side. Nice. Once I'd realised that it came undone quite easily :roll: :oops: You live and learn...

p2tP6AQl.jpg

OMK8PIKl.jpg

Cranks onto the bottom bracket tapers were f'in tight - ended up braking my bottom bracket tool......but they came off without any damage.

So all stripped, cleaned and an initial paint cut done.

WXqBhnWl.jpg

Some nasty areas of corrosion to tackle but on the whole fairly presentable - for 35 years old (and from what I've read the Guerciotti paint jobs from that era were less than durable).

Front mech clamp area:
8ndiJITl.jpg

Bottom bracket grot:
ggVa5LPl.jpg

Cable guides:
bJDhaaol.jpg

Seat stays:
5IA4mbkl.jpg

Downtube:
5z9YEzsl.jpg

Some lovely features on this though - pantographed seatstays, brake bridge, cutout bottom bracket etc.

1oNd0oTl.jpg

o5OljsYl.jpg

zz1yhEZl.jpg

f5aE92Yl.jpg

It warrants (and deserves) a re-finish, but for now I'm going to be cleaning the bad areas, stabilising and protecting so I can get it riding again.

Paint is an interesting finish....looks like a clear red painted over a yellow undercoat.....to give an orangy red colour. .....which looks different to the catalogue entries which look more of a solid red colour.

Also found a frame number - 57 M - also stamped on the fork steerer. If anyone knows how to decode that to get a date please let me know! :)

Back