Two older disc wheels - questions.

mattsccm

Senior Retro Guru
One at a time.
a)Been given a Sugino Tension Disc wheel. Built on a Mavic MA 40 rim and Shimano FH6402 -Ultegra hub. 32 hole so I think that this makes it a later one. The rim is untouched as is the plastic skin.
There is a bit on here about these wheels but not a lot. Did anyone use them on the road? It needs a minor truing. How is this done?
Got the manual but I am still not 100% sure. It might go nicely with my old P2 Cervelo TT bike . What do you lot think?

b) The P2 came with an elderly HED disc wheel. Freewheel hub and I guess 126 mm as an 8 speed freewheel fits but is too wide for the frame. In pretty good condition. Suspect that the number is under the tub so its staying right there. How were these wheels constructed? Spokes etc with a carbon skin or is that skin structural? I have used this for about a dozen 10's this year and all is fine although the 13-19 freewheel is a touch limiting! Better than the 13-17 I used in 1980 though I suppose. :LOL:

Just generally after any info I guess and wondering which to use. The Sugino does have the benefit of allowing a 9 speed cassette which would be nice for the more undulating courses around the Forest of Dean. I'd love to turn both into one new (but cheap) modern disc or deep rimmed wheel but doubt they would both add up to the cost and it's all on a tight budget.

You could ask this on the time trial forum where you may find more who would be likely to know the answer.

mattsccm":nfyyk91y said:
b) The P2 came with an elderly HED disc wheel. Freewheel hub and I guess 126 mm as an 8 speed freewheel fits but is too wide for the frame. In pretty good condition. Suspect that the number is under the tub so its staying right there. How were these wheels constructed? Spokes etc with a carbon skin or is that skin structural? I have used this for about a dozen 10's this year and all is fine although the 13-19 freewheel is a touch limiting! Better than the 13-17 I used in 1980 though I suppose. :LOL:

Just generally after any info I guess and wondering which to use.

Everything you've said about the HED is correct. I don't think I've seen a model number anywhere on the rim. I'll keep an eye out next time I've got the tub off.

It is a hollow wheel with structural skins. They are slightly curved and seem to be some kind of fibre-foam-fibre sandwich on each side. Pretty sure they're glass fibre in black resin and not carbon. I don't think the skins were autoclaved, they look a bit like they were a wet layup and they are a little bit voidy (textured looking) on the surface which points to low cure pressure and poor consolidation at the surface. They are bonded to the rim with a tough grey adhesive. The skins dent very easily and it's easy to damage them round the valve hole cutout, so be gentle with them and use a 90° valve adaptor like a crack pipe or similar.

The hub takes standard size bearings which you can tap out using the axle if you support the outside bit of the hub. The axle is shouldered inside and this sets the wheel width.

Great sounding wheel because it's hollow - it really rumbles! Apparently still one of the most aero wheels until quite recently. My criticism is I think it absorbs a lot of energy when you ride along. Riding down a particular hill on my weekend route, my friend always rolls away from me on his modern wheels if I have the HED fitted and I think it's the vertical flex in the skins absorbing energy. I don't have the best freewheel on it, though, so that could also be a contributing factor. It feels faster, sounds faster and looks better, however, which is far more important.

Agree with al you say about the HED. It does sound nice and at my TT level that's as important as an extra second or two. Running it with a 13-19 Regina Titall freewheel.
Thanks

Back