Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View

tonyf39

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Not on my older bike, it's on my ex team carbon, but Veloflex Vlaanderen is the absolute nuts, 27mm, bang on 300g, not cheap but by god it's an amazing tyre.
Ah, looks like no longer sold, the replacement seems to be the 'Pro Tour' gum showing as a 28mm in the widest size , it looks the same/same description, not sure if the 28 is the actual or they think the 27 comes upo bigger on wider rims. FWIW my wheels are a 24mm wide pair of Bora One's and the Veloflex comes up bang on.
£60 here which is about what I paid for the Vlaanderen https://www.merlincycles.com/veloflex-protour-tubular-tyre-700c-235751.html

Last edited:

Txn67

Dirt Disciple
You really cant deal with a tub puncture at the side of the road.
Sure you can. I carry a small 2oz bottle of Stan's sealant in my jersey pocket or handlebar bag when I have that on. I rarely have a puncture on a tubular, I go years without one. Three years ago I did puncture and on the side of the road I squirted in half of the bottle of Stan's, 1oz is enough for a road tire. The chain breaker on my multitool removes the valve core. Took less time than swapping in a new tube on a clincher and it sealed so well I could go a week without having to add air in the tire. I've had at least one bike with tubulars since I started road cycling in 1987 and I've never been stranded in my life.

tonyf39

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Sure you can. I carry a small 2oz bottle of Stan's sealant in my jersey pocket or handlebar bag when I have that on. I rarely have a puncture on a tubular, I go years without one. Three years ago I did puncture and on the side of the road I squirted in half of the bottle of Stan's, 1oz is enough for a road tire. The chain breaker on my multitool removes the valve core. Took less time than swapping in a new tube on a clincher and it sealed so well I could go a week without having to add air in the tire. I've had at least one bike with tubulars since I started road cycling in 1987 and I've never been stranded in my life.
Agreed.
I carry a can of foam sealant, don't have to remove anything, just attach the nozzle to the valve and press the button. It not only seals the puncture instantly it inflates the tyre as well. Did this with some Vittoria's on a set of GP4s a couple of years back that I was selling, worked really well. I started using tubs only relatively recently, don't do a load of miles but since I got the Gigantex/FRM with Conti 4000s about 10 years ago and latterly the Campag Bora's with conti comp and Veloflex vlaanderen I've never punctured, covered maybe 8000 miles in total over that period between both pairs (as I use all my bikes over the year so none get loads of miles).

Still got the Gigantex and they might well go on my 'gravel' bike just because I can, dunno about sizing though, can I use say a 32/35mm tub on a fairly narrow tubular rim the same way I do with clinchers?