Tubular Tyres. A Beginner's Report.

half cog

Retro Guru
You really cant deal with a tub puncture at the side of the road. Its carry a spare or two and sort it at home by the fire.Simply take the tub off and fit another then as it wont be glued in any way pump it up hard and go steady on the corners till you can fix it properly.You need also to consider just how many punctures you get anyway.I doubt I get more than one a year so no problem.Its tub creep that bugs me. I have now tried everything and still get it.Thought id solved it with tape but it just took longer to appear. Caused by some long and very steep hills where i live

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
YouIts tub creep that bugs me. I have now tried everything and still get it.Thought id solved it with tape but it just took longer to appear. Caused by some long and very steep hills where i live

would this be worse on a fixed gear bike? What with the rear wheel doing some of the slowing down. It is fairly hilly by me.
I’d like to keep the original wheels on my bike but it needs new tubs, debating whether It’s worth it, or just sell them and buy similar looking modern clinchers 🤷🏼

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
I carry one of these with me when I ride my 1954 Jubilee Special. works a treat on tiny punctures. certainly got me home a couple of times now. (bloody hawthorns!)
51b-mDTu6XL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

jim haseltine

Old School Hero
Back when I rode them I never had a problem with creep and never had one roll off the rim either. I'm on pressures now because I can't justify the cost of tubs and the work involved in fixing punctures against a fiver for a new tube.

half cog

Retro Guru
Im talking two hiundred yards of full on 1 in 4 decent.May even be steeper.Its the front one that moves most so I now simply turn the wheel round so it pushes back.If you can ride your hills on fixed they may not be steep enough to move the tubs.That or you have super strong legs.All you can do is try it. I could hang over the back of the bike mtb style but apart from looking odd on a road bike it would probably transfer the problem to the rear wheel and that is not so easily sorted.

half cog

Retro Guru
Jim I was club riding on tubs back in the sixties using cement and never had a problem with creep back then.Only once nearly had a tub roll and that was a day I had two flats and there was no glue on the rims at all.If you got a flat you simply changed the tub and watched it on the corners.Having said that you still had to go at the same pace as everyone else. The reactions were a hell of a lot quicker back then so it was throw the bike upright and go wide on the corner. Not a good feeling though

Jonny69

Senior Retro Guru
What 25mm-27mm tan wall tyres are people using on their older bikes? I currently have 25mm Challenge Vulcano which are due for replacement, but the challenge is now finding them.

vcballbat

Retro Guru
What 25mm-27mm tan wall tyres are people using on their older bikes? I currently have 25mm Challenge Vulcano which are due for replacement, but the challenge is now finding them.
I order these online and collect in-store..

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
I’m using Schwalbe but I’m not sure if they make them in 25mm 2A5A3AFF-29B2-4EC7-9DC0-0DC6D4D8CC23.jpeg