Tubular Tyres. A Beginner's Report.

half cog

Retro Guru
Re:

problem solved.Dumped the tufos and cement and went schwalbe and rim tape.Rock solid with no creep. Happy days.

WD Pro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have used Carogna and the practicality side is great.

I believe it saps watts though - and I need as many of those as possible ... :LOL:

WD :D

dynoryder

Dirt Disciple
Re:

I am venturing into the world of Tubulars and was hoping to get some recommendations. Seems like a lot of previously mentioned tyres are not available anymore.

For a first time Tub user I was looking to get something that's more puncture resistant than performance.
I was looking at the Vittoria Rally Road Tubs, seem to have decent performance for a real cheap price with puncture protection. Can anyone recommend these? if not please share any other recommendations!

Aesthetically I do prefer the tan walls, they just suit vintage steel frames and I like to make my bike look pretty. :D

Rapparee87

Old School Hero
Re: Re:

dynoryder":e3yqf4p8 said:
I am venturing into the world of Tubulars and was hoping to get some recommendations. Seems like a lot of previously mentioned tyres are not available anymore.

For a first time Tub user I was looking to get something that's more puncture resistant than performance.
I was looking at the Vittoria Rally Road Tubs, seem to have decent performance for a real cheap price with puncture protection. Can anyone recommend these? if not please share any other recommendations!

Aesthetically I do prefer the tan walls, they just suit vintage steel frames and I like to make my bike look pretty. :D

I don't think you could go far wrong with the Rally, especially if you are new to tubs. I'm on tubs myself for 40 years. Wait until you have to repair a puncture on one though! :D

dynoryder

Dirt Disciple

Rapparee87":1ugbnpr5 said:
dynoryder":1ugbnpr5 said:

I don't think you could go far wrong with the Rally, especially if you are new to tubs. I'm on tubs myself for 40 years. Wait until you have to repair a puncture on one though! :D

Haha, I actually opted out of tubulars - more that the bike ended up having clincher rims instead of the original tubs.
One day I will try for the tub experience but considering I live in London I think its probably not worth the dice roll.

Ended up going for the 25cm Panaracer Pasela in clinchers, best bang for buck with great protection.
Will invest in some proper tires next summer. Was thinking Vittoria Corsa's but the continental gp5k tour de France are also pulling my attention.

Rapparee87

Old School Hero

dynoryder":3eq9t8mc said:
Rapparee87":3eq9t8mc said:
dynoryder":3eq9t8mc said:

Haha, I actually opted out of tubulars - more that the bike ended up having clincher rims instead of the original tubs.
One day I will try for the tub experience but considering I live in London I think its probably not worth the dice roll.

Ended up going for the 25cm Panaracer Pasela in clinchers, best bang for buck with great protection.
Will invest in some proper tires next summer. Was thinking Vittoria Corsa's but the continental gp5k tour de France are also pulling my attention.

If clinchers were around when I started racing I would probably have gone with them, but there was no other option so it's just a case of what I'm used to at this stage. Happy cycling! :D

Ste_S

Retro Newbie

dynoryder":3kdy9aha said:

I realise this post is from last year, however, if anyone is reading this and considering Vittoria Rally, they don't have a puncture protection strip. Same as Conti Giro's.

The only tub you should be considering in this price range is the Schwalbe Lugano T

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Sounds too much like hard work. Clinchers please.

I think you’re missing the point 😉
Sometimes it’s nice to use the old/original wheels, which invariably means tubular rims & tyres. I’m not a big fan of tubular either, but sometimes it’s the only way.

e66y

Dirt Disciple
I think you’re missing the point 😉
Sometimes it’s nice to use the old/original wheels, which invariably means tubular rims & tyres. I’m not a big fan of tubular either, but sometimes it’s the only way.
I get it ;-) sometimes it needs to be period correct etc. But for me, if clinchers can suffice then that's my option.
It's having to deal with a puncture on tubulars at the side of the road that worries me.