Tonard Brazing frames

Hill Special

Retro Newbie
Feedback
View
I have inherited Tonard Brazing frame number 549 which has been refinished and the original paintwork lost.

Are there any Tonard owners out there who can suggest when this frame was built and what type of finish would bring it back to its original condition

Many thanks for any help that can be given

Is it actually decaled as a Tonard? I ask this as much of their production was for the trade. 549 suggests a relatively early build but I've no idea how many they built in total!

Re: Tonard Frame 549

This frame has been professionally refinished by Ellis Briggs at Shipley using what appear to be correct Tonard metallic decals (see photos) this was done before ir passed to our club mate who passed it on to me a few weeks ago

I understand from a post a long while ago that Tonard mainly produced as a sub contractor so I am interested to know if there are any other Tonard branded frames out there

Many thanks for your interest

Attachments

• Whole Frame 1.JPG
    Whole Frame 1.JPG
    723.1 KB · Views: 484
  • Head Tube Front.JPG
    Head Tube Front.JPG
    688.1 KB · Views: 486
  • Down Tube Transfer 1.JPG
    Down Tube Transfer 1.JPG
    663.1 KB · Views: 485
Nice looking frame with some interesting details. Looking at the top tube cable stops and the over bracket gear cable guides I would hazard a guess at it being no younger than early 70's. I'm not sure when Tonard started production - but I know a man who might!

BTW, from what he told me some time ago, I think Tonard were mainly in the business of brazing and welding for the trade in general and made a lot of racks etc. for panniers and general bike carrying.

Very nice!

I thought Tonard only did the racks too

file.php

file.php

Nice to see a genuine Tonard rack - complete with branded sticker! Can't be many of those around these days. One of the Tonard partners was Keith Hardwicke who was the man behind Elsmar Disribution. I've put a call in to my friend but he's gone out for a walk. Hopefully he'll call me back.

Right, I've spoken to my mate at last. He reckons that Keith made virtually all his frames for the trade, stock frames for many of the large retailers, mainly in the South. However, he knows that Keith made a one-off Time Trial frame for the Milan Show as an exhibition piece and also frames for a 6-Day rider sponsored by a major retailer. He also thinks that the bulk of production was mid 70's to early 80's and virtually none carried the Tonard name. Any idea where the Tonard decals were sourced from and why did the original owner know/think it is a Tonard? Interesting to know where the design for the decals originated.

Yours is certainly a very nice frame and, if it is a genuine Tonard, something to be treasured. I could certainly live with it!

Re: Tonard Decals

The head tube and down tube decals shown in the photos are typical 1970s/1980s adhesive metallic decals

The frame has a Reynolds 531 Respray transfer and an Ellis Briggs transfer just under the seat lug. If the Briggs brothers were still active I could possibly find out where the decals were sourced from but after fourty years this is probably a long shot

Many thanks for the assistance, I am riding the Tonard today (as long as it doesn't rain) so it is getting used

Back