The Road bike Introduce Yourself Here Thread

How did you find retrobike?

• Google Search

Votes: 73 65.8%
  • Link from a friend

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Social media (facebook, twitter, google+)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Print media

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Another bike site

Votes: 12 10.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 7.2%

• Total voters

Campy Rider

Retro Newbie
Hi all, I'm Campy Rider

I started riding when I was around 11 and have been riding on and off since then, mostly for recreation with some racing and serious training mixed in. I've had many bikes over the past, mostly aluminum and carbon, but I'm now getting (back) into steel, mostly due to the amount of frames I've drooled over as a kid and could never afford, but now can. DeRosa, Colnago, etc.... Here's what I've had in the past and my "wish list"

Early 80's: Huffy BMX (sold)
Late 80's: Schwinn Sprint 10-speed (stolen)
1990s' Centurion, not sure of model (parted out)
2008: Bianchi Freccia Celeste (sold)
2008: Giant CX bike, not sure of model (sold)
2008: Eddy Merckx Leader (sold)
2009: Bianchi Alu Cross #1 (sold)
2009: Bianchi Alu Cross #2 (returned to team after cross season)
2009: Bianchi Giro (frame damage, parted out)
2016: Basso Fast Cross (parted out)
2016: Kuota Kross (parted out)
2019: Colnago CLX 2.0 (current, stripped and ready for repaint, to be sold)
2020: Eddy Merckx Stockeu69, Dura-Ace Di2 (current)
2021: Canyon Grail CF8 (current)
2021: Masi Gran Criterium, Campagnolo Chorus 10 (current)
2021: Bottecchia, no idea of model (in route, needs frame blast and repaint) <-- First retro project! :)

202?: DeRosa Primato (hopefully)
202?: Molteni orange Colnago / Merckx (hopefully)
202?: Colnago Master (hopefully)

chrishayes

Retro Newbie
Hi folks. I said hi on the MTB forum yesterday but thought I’d show the road bike here…

2 years ago a summer project was a Peugeot that needed some love. Not completely sure of the model other than I suspect it’s 1983. Maybe PSV10?

What drew me to it was the same brakes and levers as my first proper ‘new’ bike, a Carlton Super Coarse, which is sadly no more.

Anyway, here’s a pic, and a link to the strip down/investigation…

12D145DC-5C9F-4F6C-8186-60AFF50A2CA2.jpeg

Write up here: My Wordpress site

chris

badgermat

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

This isn't so much an introduction as a re-introduction. I was here briefly 13 or 14 years ago under a long-forgotten username. At the time I was wilfully vandalising an old gas-pipe Falcon by turning it into a fixie (fashion-victim that I was).

I never really got on with the whole fixie thing following an early crash and broken arm. The bike was given a freewheel soon after and the perils of 80s Weinemann side-pull brakes became sufficiently apparent for me to abandon the Falcon to our basement.

Fast-forward to 2021 and in a fit of post-retirement enthusiasm I upgraded the brakes to Dia-Compe dual-pivots (from AliExpress, so possibly knock-off) and changed the bakelite-hard 28mm tyres for some 32mm Schwalbe One gravel tyres I had left over from my main bike.

Now it rides... well... beautifully. Smooth, comfortable and not even as slow as you might expect. According to Strava I've been managing my regular medium (40km) loop only about 1.5 kmh slower on average than I do on my 3T Exploro. It's not even all that flat here (Auckland, NZ).

That said, my ancient legs don't agree with the 39x16 single gear on anything steeper than maybe 8 or 10%. So it's back to gears for my Falcon.

Out of a weird and self-flagellating sense of aesthetics I don't really want to put any (more) new stuff on the old dear, so I'm going to go 5 or 6 speed, friction shift, but don't really have much idea of what would originally have been on the bike. Could have been be Sachs Huret, low end Suntour or Shimano. I'm leaning towards Sachs Huret though, if only because I had a Falcon with Huret Svelto when I was at school.

Anyway, that's me.

Mat

Old Dear.jpg

Last edited:

Mandobob

Dirt Disciple
It's great to see an older Falcon still in use and appreciated. I like the large flange hubs. It looks like a smaller frame with a foil head badge (1978/82). Has it been resprayed and has it lost its metal head badge? If it is 78/82 then my guess is it might be a Tempo, Majorca or Super Route.

Do you know what model it is? If so, I can probably help you with the original equipment.

badgermat

Retro Newbie
It's great to see an older Falcon still in use and appreciated. I like the large flange hubs. It looks like a smaller frame with a foil head badge (1978/82). Has it been resprayed and has it lost its metal head badge? If it is 78/82 then my guess is it might be a Tempo, Majorca or Super Route.

Do you know what model it is? If so, I can probably help you with the original equipment.
Haha … yes, the frame has been resprayed. I replaced the head badge, but I think the original didn’t have Ernie Clements’ signature (just said Falcon).

Based on the lugs and position of the rear derailleur cable stop I believe it’s a Mirage or maybe a Majorca. Never heard of the Super Route or Tempo.

The only original pic I have of it is attached. If you can work anything out from that you’re doing very well indeed :)

Mat

Attachments

• 45289649_full.jpg
    45289649_full.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 8

Mandobob

Dirt Disciple
If your original head badge was a foil one and it said "Falcon" it would have been built between about 1982 and 1985 (they dropped the Ernie Clements signature after he left the company in 1982). If the frame is not Reynolds 531 (and there is no sign of their transfer on the top of the seat tube) then the most likely model in that period is the Majorca - which was a 10 speed model as your photo shows. Your photo also shows the chainset with a chainguard fitted which they began using in about 1982/83. You also have the top tube with brake cable clips rather than brazed on eyes. This again puts it into the 1982/83 era.

Curiously at that time Falcon, who were notorious for switching the type of components, depending on what the parts department had in store at the time, did not specify in their catalogues which the gear train is in 1983 or 1984 for some of its bikes. Sometimes they have a Suntour Vx and more commonly Huret. Brakes would have been Weinnman - with cables coming over the handlebars in true Eroica style.

That's about as far as I can go. I hope it helps.

badgermat

Retro Newbie
If your original head badge was a foil one and it said "Falcon" it would have been built between about 1982 and 1985 (they dropped the Ernie Clements signature after he left the company in 1982). If the frame is not Reynolds 531 (and there is no sign of their transfer on the top of the seat tube) then the most likely model in that period is the Majorca - which was a 10 speed model as your photo shows. Your photo also shows the chainset with a chainguard fitted which they began using in about 1982/83. You also have the top tube with brake cable clips rather than brazed on eyes. This again puts it into the 1982/83 era.

Curiously at that time Falcon, who were notorious for switching the type of components, depending on what the parts department had in store at the time, did not specify in their catalogues which the gear train is in 1983 or 1984 for some of its bikes. Sometimes they have a Suntour Vx and more commonly Huret. Brakes would have been Weinnman - with cables coming over the handlebars in true Eroica style.

That's about as far as I can go. I hope it helps.

Thanks for that, it's really useful.

The frame doesn't have the ping of CroMo nor any giveaway decals, so I'm pretty certain it isn't Reynolds (unless they had some previously unknown alloy of mild steel and lead).

If it makes any difference, it does have brazed cable guides on the top tube. Not sure what that mark in the pic is. Maybe a cable tie, I can't remember.

Mandobob

Dirt Disciple
Brazed cable guides were first in the catalogues in 1983 and the vertical "Falcon" on the seat tube disappeared in the 1986 catalogue. In that period, the only non 531 and non cro-mo models that I can find are the Tempo and the Black Diamond. However the latter almost always has the model name, inside a diamond, on the top tube - particularly in this period.

Falcon didn't illustrate all the models it made in every catalogue. I can see the Tempo in the 1979 catalogue, the dealers price list for 1980 and then it only re-appears in 1989. In 79 the spec is: Ideal sports machine equipped with alloy cotterless cranks, full mudguards, bottle and cage, alloy brakes with dual safety safety levers 19 3/4" 21" 23" and 25" 5-speed. In the same catalogue there is a very similar model, identical spec but with 10-speed called the Panther, but that only gets listed in 78, 79 and 80. Maybe later the Tempo was offered with 5 or 10 speeds.

So my best guess is a Tempo from 1983 or 1984.