The Road Bike How Much Thread

losidan

Senior Retro Guru
Carrera

Hi,
bought this a few months ago and have been cruising around on it quite happily...Need the cash towards a spesh p1 going cheap I have the chance of.
Differences from the pic is that is has a new rolls saddle, new seatpost, look pedals and new grip tape.
I was wondering what would be a good guide price? It is shimano exage action throughout with reynolds 501 tubing. Araya rims and chengshin 23 mm tyres. 22" frame and 12 speeder.
carrera.jpg

I aint expecting to be able to retire off the proceeds

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Not a clue with road stuff but new project sale needed

MO DO LO AE2093 drop bars with Shimano RSX Brakes/shifters?

Both nice condition

Any ideas what I can ask for them? :?

Thanks

dinozoiks

GT Fan
'Vintage' Mavic OR10 rims... new wheel build...

Got these on a new but quirky track bike build. Want to sell them to get a set of wheels with machined surfaces. Trouble is, no idea what price to ask for as I'm usually a MTB type. Any ideas, planning to Ebay I guess unless anyone can suggest a better route. The rims are seemingly proper old-skool (but mint) 80's stuff but built onto new Token hubs.

* Mavic OR10 700c 32 hole rims in gold with non-machined sidewalls
* Token flip-flop track hubs (sealed bearings, large flange, threaded on both sides, hollow axle for lightness, nuts included, rear spaced for 120mm)
* Swiss DT Competition spokes (4xpattern, hand built)

640_DSC_1382.JPG

640_DSC_1391.JPG

[/img]

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Re: 'Vintage' Mavic OR10 rims... new wheel build...

dinozoiks":2bepifry said:
Got these on a new but quirky track bike build. Want to sell them to get a set of wheels with machined surfaces. Trouble is, no idea what price to ask for as I'm usually a MTB type. Any ideas, planning to Ebay I guess unless anyone can suggest a better route. The rims are seemingly proper old-skool (but mint) 80's stuff but built onto new Token hubs.

* Mavic OR10 700c 32 hole rims in gold with non-machined sidewalls
* Token flip-flop track hubs (sealed bearings, large flange, threaded on both sides, hollow axle for lightness, nuts included, rear spaced for 120mm)
* Swiss DT Competition spokes (4xpattern, hand built)

640_DSC_1382.JPG

640_DSC_1391.JPG

[/img]

I think the rims represent a certain serious value. No idea about the other bits. Doubt whether regular people building wheels with Token hubs wouldn't be happy with other less expensive, less rare gold rims with no substantial historic signifigance. Makes me think it is best to disassamble the wheels, sell rims to vintage enthousiast and hubs to someone else.

dinozoiks

GT Fan
Mavic OR10

Hmmm, shame to undo all the hard work but i think you're right. I should probably grab some Velocity Deep V's, use the Token Hubs, flog the rims and just use the spokes as useful pointy things for random garage tasks.

Still no idea what the rims are worth though. Can't fing any meaningful reference in google and haven't a clue what kind of 'vintage' they are. Any ideas?

one-eyed_jim

Old School Grand Master
Re: Mavic OR10

dinozoiks":73drksip said:
Still no idea what the rims are worth though. Can't fing any meaningful reference in google
Here's an NOS pair that fetched $152 last month:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0177011398

I don't know whether or not that's typical. The fact that yours have been built (even if unused) will probably mean they'll fetch a fair bit less.

haven't a clue what kind of 'vintage' they are. Any ideas?
I'd guess mid seventies to early eighties.

Piers

Retro Guru
Hi,
A friend asked me to see if I could get any idea what this is worth (I'm OK on MTBs).
It's a custom built Mercian frame in 531. I think it's 1970s and has Campag Nuovo Record gears, hubs and headset, Mavic 190 FB rims, Stronglight cranks and ordinary brakes. Condition is excellent (very few miles before retirement to his attic). There are more pics if anyone has any suggestions and wants more detail...

Attachments

• Mercian.jpg
    Mercian.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 11,634