The Official Retrobike Fixed and S/S thread

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Welcome to the The Official Retrobike Fixed and S/S thread. This has been setup by user request to cover fixed gear and single speed builds.

Enjoy :D

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'll kick off - can anyone recommend singlespeed screw on freewheels - I've just bought a singlespeed specific wheelset without the freewheel and am looking for somehting that'll do the job but not too pricey. Needs to be 16t as well.

stubbsy

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
try charlie the bike mongers, loads of fixed and single speed stuff,

on another note stumpie ss build should be happening when last few bits arrive should weigh 15.66 lb ;)

stubbsy

misteroo

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
As this thread was my idea, I better write something!!!

;)

From what I have read, I keep seeing BMX freewheels being mentioned. Chain Reaction have some freewheels, they have a singlespeed specific one, but its a bit pricey!!!!!

I'm just about to start my first SS project too, so any one else out there with Fixie or SS pics/advice/builds would be most helpful to us SS newbs!!

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
i have a recommendation for you fixie types. Get yourself a bolt on fixie sprocket from Velosolo. It allowed me to build a cheap rugged fixie as a wheel with an international standard 6 bolt disc mount instantly becomes a fixed gear wheel. I used a hybrid 700c front disc wheel and just fitted and spaced a longer axle with the bolt on sprocket. Easy to fit and remove without any danger of stripping the threads as can happen on a fixie hub. Simple and clever, I like them ;)

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Can I clarify! Would this be better kept as a roadie only bit, seeing as its in the roadie section?

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
quite possibly :D

I guess my question pertains to either road or MTB though - a problem I am seeing is that most freewheels appear to be either 1/8" or 3/16" - I guess I need to stick with 3/32?

Can I run a 1/8" freewheel with a 1/8" chain on a 3/32" chainring? Would this actually be a good idea for durability?

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
You can run 1/8th chain on 3/32nd chainrings no problem. As chain is a wee bit wider than 3/32nd it allows chainline to be not quite perfect between chainring and freewheel sprocket. You cannot run 3/32nd chain on 1/8th chainring but usually 1/8th chainring only found on old cottered cranks ;)

misteroo

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
After digging this out of the shed, and thinking about selling, I thought...why not build a single speed!!!!

The only parts that cant be used are the rims, they were completely knackered! I would love to use the Campag hubs, and would like some deep rims.

Any advice and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• DSC01077.JPG
    DSC01077.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 31,778
  • DSC01075.JPG
    DSC01075.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 31,783
  • DSC01071.JPG
    DSC01071.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 31,783
  • DSC01074.JPG
    DSC01074.JPG