The Mythical 1998 Kona Ku

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
The search for this treasure has been long and hard, but finally I own the rarest of rare.

The Columbus Altec2 Megatube 1998 Kona Ku – Handmade in U.S.A.

Without further conformation, we understand that only 50 Ku frames in total were produced in 1998. Considering it wasn’t until January this year that we had even seen a confirmed photograph of one, I and others think that this figure could be lower. Serial number of mine to come later.

This is the picture from the 1998 catalogue, which to me appears to be an artist’s impression. It’s unlikely that the frames would have been made by the time the catalogue was printed.

Ku%2098_1_zpsnr58ufph.jpg

Leaving the titanium models aside for the moment, 1998 was the last year of production for the handmade Kona frames – the Ku and the Hot. There is an interesting quote on Al-onestare’s Caldera thread explaining what happened at Kona in particular, and probably the industry in general.

Inquiries are still ongoing to discover who welded these tubes together, but we can assume for now that it was Enigma Design, while Velographic were responsible for the paint job.

The (full?) crazy story of how I came to own this one could be told on here at some point, but first I need to thank Kyle888 and Al-onestare for their help.

Firstly Kyle for finding an old expired Pinkbike advert for the frame. It had been sold via this advert back in May last year - but to whom and where was it now?

Then, Al for his help, encouragement and advice regarding shipping a complete bike from Canada – as it eventually transpired.

I’ll leave the other Ku thread on 1998 chat to run its course. It was originally started to try and find out about this frame, then turned into an inventory for serial numbers – currently numbering 9 bikes in total for all four years of production of the Ku.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=336784

Pictures to come.

Pip - currently in a state of euphoria :D

Re:

I had a feeling the deal might happen in the end ;)

I didn't do a lot to be fair just a quick google search :LOL:

Kyle

Re:

Great news Pip.. I always say "the best comes to those who wait".. She looks a beauty.. Well done to all who made it happen.. Now I do think you could with a "Score" to complete the stable..

Nice one mate

Ernie

Re:

Thank you gentlemen.

The bike took a mere 4 days to arrive from Canada using FedEx, which is remarkable service.

It had been professionally boxed up (more on that during the full story) and I built it up during my break at work, then rode it around the Industrial Estate in my lunch hour - quickly took a few pictures so you had something to comment on.

This is as it arrived with the seller’s spec. The tyres give a unique riding experience, so these will be removed tonight, and replaced with something that steers in the intended direction.

This is what all the fuss was about – Columbus tubing used on a Ku.
Ku%201998%20Columbus_zps2imslg2y.jpg

Drive Side:
Ku%201998%20120216DS_1_zpsex7qnq6d.jpg

Drive Side Front:
Ku%201998%20120216F_zpsodvspbwf.jpg

Drive Side Rear:
Ku%201998%20120216R_zpsa9zus9cm.jpg

Different Background:
Ku%201998%20120216DS_zpsmuxzycm4.jpg

Pip

Bloody hell that's nice mate! I can see why you're changing the tyres but the rest of the spec doesn't look too shabby! Well done on finally tracking one down. I'm looking forward to hearing the full story as to how you managed to finally acquire it!

Re:

That colour is amazing and looks in great nick with lots of xtr on it!

The paint looks like a very deep finish in the close up shot!

Beautiful frame!

Kyle

:shock: wow, now thats a quick build Pip :cool:

The build is great and all parts and colours are matching each other. Even the tyres on that wheels looks just right. Proportion are classy - that years Kona, mostly, did everything right.

Re:

Rightyho, I have had a good look round this frame, and I’m please to say that it is in amazing condition – I understand that it spent many years not being ridden at all. More on that later.

The technical stuff:
It is interesting to note that the Top Tube is Ovalised -approx 34mm / 38mm, and the Down Tube is Bi-Ovalised - approx 40mm / 48mm.

Question: Was this the first year that Kona used Ovalised tubing on an aluminium frame?

The 1998 Kula & Pahoehoe look like round tubing to me, so was Easton tubing only available with a round section at this point? With reference to my other thread, was this the thinking behind using Columbus tubing for this model?

Easton tubing Kona frames were strengthened with gusseting from 1999, while the 1998 models onwards had the reinforced Headtube flare. Please note that this 1998 Ku has no reinforced Headtube flare – a good way to spot a facsimile ;)

I know that the Easton Scandium tubing was still a round section in 2000, because I’ve got a 2K Explosif constructed from it. Was this Columbus Altec2 Megatube perhaps custom drawn for Kona for the 1998 Ku, in a similar way to the custom drawn Columbus Nivacrom tubes for the 1997 Explosif?

If I may quote Anthony with regard to this,
“The only reason it wasn't more widely used was that it was fearfully expensive, owing to the cost of biovalising the tubes”

Pip.

Back