The Myrah Fat Chance ... Is Done :)

Are Thomas and Don on the same frame albeit different forks in that pic then?

Hope you’ve found a green Avocet computer and Etto helmet to match! 😎

Last edited:
Of the three, this is 551. I’m not sure if this was ever raced. It’s more of a conventional wicked design with a custom long top tube?

552 and 553 were both raced by Don in 1990. They look identical by design and are much different than a standard wicked.

Little bit of background.

Don Myrah wins the men's XC World's at Mammoth for Ritchey in 1989. I think he also took the CX title that year ... he tore up the CX circuit and still does!

Myrah actually signs for Yeti and Campagnolo for the 1990 season, but Yeti won't make a bike to his specs so he backs out and signs with Fat Chance. The change came late so Myrah rode the first race or two on a blue Ritchey in Fat Chance livery. I think he won the opening round on it:

Fat chance builds three bikes. I am not sure why the first one one made ... perhaps just as an experiment. The next two are done to Myrah's specs and painted in what would become the Team Colours:

Custom 1

Custom 2

It took a close look at both frames to figure out which one I had. I thought it would be trickier, but luckily FC made it easy on me.

Yes ... next up the frame :)

Love the ex Team Race bikes. I had Earl M. Walker Jn’s 93 Ti FAT race bike for a while. FAT also made some of Tomac’s rebranded late 80s steel Mongoose bikes.

Last edited:
Back