The Communal Drink and Good Times Thread

And for those that "think" a cluster of gears with that tooth profile doesn't shift....you'd be surprised!

I speak from personal experience Osgear, Cyclo and the like, I have/had many friction change bikes. Has more to do with mech geometry rather than tooth form, though that plays its part. It is only my opinion though, no one died and put me in charge 👍

Mickeyspinn

rBotM Winner
I speak from personal experience Osgear, Cyclo and the like, I have/had many friction change bikes. Has more to do with mech geometry rather than tooth form, though that plays its part. It is only my opinion though, no one died and put me in charge 👍
Yes mech geometry ! The incessant march to bigger and more gears on the rear has now landed us at the point where you need servos and batteries and processors to make the shift....
I see that as regression not progression.
Fine tuned ratios to suit a rider is the way forward ... the off the shelf here's 12 you'll find one you like somewhere in that lot approach...just take a look in any bike shops scrap bin....the amount of dead cassettes and chains all because 2 maybe 3 are worn 🙄 utter waste of material resources etc...and also why carry that weight? Why put a chain through that level of duress! Straight chain is a happy chain and a happy chain lasts and doesn't kernacker your cogs!

grantoury

Retro Guru
My Koga with the 600 Arabesque groupset wasn't all that quick. Maybe some TLC could have cured it. Loved the look of the Arabesque though, speaking of artisan.

Mike, I think you misunderstand me. I'm with you on all points, chain deflection, excessive gears, especially waste etc. It is just the physical gear change I don't like. A 70's Suntour or Shimano is superior in my opinion to any chain stay mounted mech that I've used. Arabesque is lovely. Hope this clears it up.

Mickeyspinn

rBotM Winner
Mike, I think you misunderstand me. I'm with you on all points, chain deflection, excessive gears, especially waste etc. It is just the physical gear change I don't like. A 70's Suntour or Shimano is superior in my opinion to any chain stay mounted mech that I've used. Arabesque is lovely. Hope this clears it up.
I've never had much luck with chainstay mounted derailleurs either ! I think there might be too much deflection happening in the tube? However putting it there for chain wrap makes so much sense👍
Have a little pic of this nugget of wonder...it'll cross the whole block in one... up or downIMG_20220707_103948_394.jpg

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
A snail gets its leaf eventually.

Small steps have always been my approach to everything in life, always helps keep you steady if you're plastered.

Can't remember if I asked before, how old is the house you're doing up?

;) Spot on. Didn't move back to France to be sober. Since I'm working alone and trying to do every job and every trade myself, I'm always on a learning curve and forced to break down work to something manageable. Got to work sensibly too, buying material typically involves driving stupid distances and closest A&E at the hospital is 50 km away. There's a few of us in the village renovating old houses, so we try to help each other for difficult problems over the usual bribe of a beer.

The house originally was never a house. It was a 250 year old Blacksmith, complete with a water well inside. Made with 60 to 100cm river bed stone walls cut into a hillside. Stone joined together with lime, clay, and earth. No foundations. In the late 1800s the village suffered a huge fire, so all the timber work destroyed but the stones remained. In the 1900s a split level ground floor and second upper floor was added for dwellings using iron and concrete above the well and smithy. The smithy was active into the mid 60s, still with a soil floor and iron hooks and rings to attach horses. Fire pit in one corner. The upper floor dwellings never really got finished. 1974 is the last written evidence of construction work being performed. Some electrics were added in the 80s, plumbing consisted of one cold water tap, waste water going into the street. Toilet waste into a small septic tank, so very civilised and not thrown out of the top window on passers by. Main drains came in 2004 but nothing connected to them!

I bought the house after being abandoned and derelict for 15 years - mother nature and the elements "looked after" the house.