The Communal Drink and Good Times Thread

Mickeyspinn

rBotM Winner
Quality Sir, quality. 👏

I bet when the sun shines out of that it has beautiful golden hues and the birds start singing too.
Funny that.....nightingale has just finished his evening repertoire!
So I thought I'd spin some old CDs... fancied big calm by morcheeba......but cd player has just decided to have a wobble 🙄 keeps saying no cd...I keep telling it yes cd ....b'stard won't listen tho...maybe I see if the record deck wants to play ball? I have a copy of dig your own hole I haven't even listened to on vinyl yet..so..fingers crossed!

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Sadly, CD players and CDs are not the indestructible system we got fed with 80s.

Remember Jam on CDs at a kids party and being able to play still? Tomorrows World if I recall correctly.

Anyhow, repairing CD players is something not beyond your skills. They are an electro-mechanical machine. There's about 80% chance the mechanics have failed and not the electronics. The error means typically the Table Of Contents on the CD (inner most track) can't be read.

Most CD players dispensed with a light sensitive switch to detect if a CD was present umpteen years ago. Swearing at it, or a little tap on the top of the case may get things to function, and re-conform with the needed tolerance level to read the TOC. Don't hit it with a hammer.

Try opening it up, clean the tram lines of the transport. Typically two rails if it's an old CD player. Get rid of all dust from the transport. There's probably a rack and pinion too which needs a clean out.

If that doesn't work, many CD players used a weird belt drive through a cog set to turn the CD with constant linear velocity. The 2 pence belt drive can be replaced easy enough.

All that said, if the above doesn't work, it's pretty much out of DIY scope for repair. Next level needs electronic test equipment.

If the laser is burnt out, the whole unit is for the bin. Not worth hunting down replacement lasers and transport mechanisms today.

If the electric motor is burnt out or just can't reach the RPM through the stepper motor circuitry due to residue induced flux with age, again, the whole unit is for the bin.

In the past I've baby sat NAD and Sherwood CD players with the top section of the case off and a lollipop stick to gently prod the transport or help the CD get the initial RPM with an additional finger DJ style turn.

Probably best to keep an eye out for something at the charity shop or whatever; not being capable to read the TOC on certain CDs is the beginning of the end.

Mickeyspinn

rBotM Winner
Sadly, CD players and CDs are not the indestructible system we got fed with 80s.

Remember Jam on CDs at a kids party and being able to play still? Tomorrows World if I recall correctly.

Anyhow, repairing CD players is something not beyond your skills. They are an electro-mechanical machine. There's about 80% chance the mechanics have failed and not the electronics. The error means typically the Table Of Contents on the CD (inner most track) can't be read.

Most CD players dispensed with a light sensitive switch to detect if a CD was present umpteen years ago. Swearing at it, or a little tap on the top of the case may get things to function, and re-conform with the needed tolerance level to read the TOC. Don't hit it with a hammer.

Try opening it up, clean the tram lines of the transport. Typically two rails if it's an old CD player. Get rid of all dust from the transport. There's probably a rack and pinion too which needs a clean out.

If that doesn't work, many CD players used a weird belt drive through a cog set to turn the CD with constant linear velocity. The 2 pence belt drive can be replaced easy enough.

All that said, if the above doesn't work, it's pretty much out of DIY scope for repair. Next level needs electronic test equipment.

If the laser is burnt out, the whole unit is for the bin. Not worth hunting down replacement lasers and transport mechanisms today.

If the electric motor is burnt out or just can't reach the RPM through the stepper motor circuitry due to residue induced flux with age, again, the whole unit is for the bin.

In the past I've baby sat NAD and Sherwood CD players with the top section of the case off and a lollipop stick to gently prod the transport or help the CD get the initial RPM with an additional finger DJ style turn.

Probably best to keep an eye out for something at the charity shop or whatever; not being capable to read the TOC on certain CDs is the beginning of the end.
I like the lollipop idea 👍
It's just an old piece of junk workshop mini thing...it's eaten dust for ten years...maybe tomorrow I'll attempt a "fix"....it's done it before...but slappage always fixed it when timed to perfection with "play" button!

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Perhaps stating the obvious, but a clean CD too works wonders for this error. Microfibre cloth, dry, and do it radially from the centre to the outer. The inner circumference is the most important for the CD to play.

Any shit or oily swarfy finger marks ( 😜 ) elsewhere will translate to temporary audio drop-outs, or skipping.

Last edited:

Imlach

Kona Fan
Specialized Fan
Feedback
View
Aaaah been on the phone with the Danish travel card (like oyster card UK) customer service this morning. 2 times I've topped up my card and it says I've got nowt. They blame it on the Nets EU payment security processor thing, which is just pathetic. Now have to get in touch with my bank as I believe the amount wasn't just reserved but actually charged.

Fella wanted me to top up my card on the phone, and it went through but then I was reminded by the stupidest thing about the travel card. Are you guys ready? It takes up to 24 hours for a top up and you have to use the card to transfer the amount to the card........ I was nearly stuck in the town yesterday until we realised my better half had enough to take me on her card.

I hate modern society and I wish I could be picked up by a bearded man in a horse drawn carriage, telling me tales of the women he thieved to be able to afford a pint of shine, only to be attacked by outlaws which I'd swiftly pay off with tatty syncros bits they could put on their horsies