The Communal Drink and Good Times Thread

Mickeyspinn

rBotM Winner
I tried. But about 50cm from my nose I bailed out. I couldn't, especially as I'm not a big fish eater. It's like other seafood, muscles and shrimps, and what not. My moto is I don't like food looking back at me.

It's practically only consumed during the summer solstice period, when this stuff get's put on the table outside, when there's like three hours from dusk till dawn and everyone is outdoors. It's a traditional thing.
You braver than me....fool 😂
I'd Chuck up I reckon...rotten fish eweeeehhh 😐
I don't do unmobile sea food....if it sticks to a boat or a rock I'll pass thank you.shit filters shellfish are!

• Haha
Reactions: Woz

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
And white wine I'll pass...however if lobsters on the menu.....sancerre.....marriage made in heaven

Sancerre. Not too far from me. Famous for whites, but there is some very good reds too.

It's a twin town with Eccelshall, Stafford, where I did a lot of riding back in the day. Both towns are lovely.

Imlach

Kona Fan
Specialized Fan
Feedback
View
Sancerre. Not too far from me. Famous for whites, but there is some very good reds too.

It's a twin town with Eccelshall, Stafford, where I did a lot of riding back in the day. Both towns are lovely.
I have to do some bikepacking in France one day, would love to stop in different towns and get my hand on different wines. Surely the local stuff is dear, no?

Mickeyspinn

rBotM Winner
I have to do some bikepacking in France one day, would love to stop in different towns and get my hand on different wines. Surely the local stuff is dear, no?
France is awesome for bimbling about on a bike and getting pished Ive had some awesome times last time I was there France v England work cup,tour de France ,Bastille Day ...everyday was a ball!

Mickeyspinn

rBotM Winner

Your location sounds rather good woz👍 I have love for the Loire valley so probably not too far from you.

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
You are both right. One of my motives for coming back to France. Location wise I'm all set.

Sadly, my house renovation project is keeping me from exploring on bike. But I can live with that and have a crack at doing all that later.

The relief from struggling with a knackered old house is fiddling with knackered old bikes. I'll never learn. ;)

Imlach

Kona Fan
Specialized Fan
Feedback
View
Going to pour a last dram of the night.. Morning? And watch the film The Trip that I found on Netflix. Norwegian stuff, let's see if its good.

What needs to be done on the house, Woz? And how old is the building?

20220627_035714.jpg20220627_035450.jpg

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I don't know anything about wines except sometimes they're undrinkable and sometimes they're not. I've often found that the Lidl and Aldi ones are all very inoffensive and just easy drinking which is what I prefer in a wine. I don't really understand all the nuances, where as when it comes to whisky, I like the challenges.

White wine is like sugarised vinegar to me and I admit I only drink it as a spritzer drenched in fizzy water if I run out of beer or red wine

It's like anything concerning drink. Demands time and effort to find out. Bottom line is there is practically no crap wine anymore in Europe, all countries are competing and producing good stuff. Apparently people are drinking less, but demanding quality as a whole.

On the whisky front, god I ruffle feathers. Especially with my Scottish friends. My choice is Irish, and blended. With a slab of dark chocolate.

Imlach

Kona Fan
Specialized Fan
Feedback
View
It's like anything concerning drink. Demands time and effort to find out. Bottom line is there is practically no crap wine anymore in Europe, all countries are competing and producing good stuff. Apparently people are drinking less, but demanding quality as a whole.

On the whisky front, god I ruffle feathers. Especially with my Scottish friends. My choice is Irish, and blended. With a slab of dark chocolate.
It does seem that way, wine has come a long way from the cheap gutrot of the 70's and 80's 'cheap wine' - ulcer in a liquid form. I have quite enjoyed an array of South African cheapo wines from various supermarkets, I'll have to go to the shops and get some soon, get pictures done and share the brands. But yeah, wines for me are not something I can delve into quite as much as I can with whisky's or fancier beers. I like a bottle of wine here and there, I find that I drink more of it in the winter than in the summer.

I'm not much for snobbery in any particular genre of drink though, you like what you like. I can relate to your liking of blended whisky's, I'm guessing you're not a huge fan of the overly smoky selections from Scottish tradition? I've found that the more entry-level, cheaper single malts tend to be a nice compromise in regards to smokiness. But my go-to whisky is actually Irish, and it's the Dew which I've been drinking tonight. Used to get a bottle of the Dew weekly. But my ultimate favourite at an affordable price is the Caol Ila 12 year.

But more than anything I probably drink beer. Anything from cheap thirst quenchers to nice strong porters, to a wide selection of wheat beers. What I miss the most is the endless partaking in IPA's, but my acid reflux does my throat in after a night of IPA now.

Now, Woz, Mickey and Kermit, the first regulars (you have no choice in the matter) of what will hopefully be a fruitful yet deliciously depraved thread for paralytic minds, I must get some sleep. It's 7 am nearly. Feck.

I bid farewell with a tune,