The Communal Drink and Good Times Thread

Imlach

Kona Fan
Specialized Fan
Feedback
View
So, decided to sample the Tennents 9 percent Scotch Ale. Didn't fancy cleaning a proper glass so I used one of my little hiking cups because hey a container is a container.

The initial taste is quite alcoholic, with a slight oily thickness mouth feel, probably just a result of the higher abv. The flavour slowly diverts from a strong sweet alcoholic burn to a slight toffee sweetness, which is then overshadowed by the kind of bitterness that you associate with dark chocolate, and once you swallow the bitterness is more alike the bittersweet flavour of anis liquors. Got a nice mild warning feeling.

I had it with duck and mashed potatoes. Was nice. As you can tell the better half was having spring rolls in the background.

I was then joined by a hungry cat for a portrait. 20220701_015028.jpg20220701_015437.jpg

bagpuss

rBotM Winner
Back in 1993 big brother and yours at the NEC to see Meatloaf and his crew on the Bat Out Of Hell World Tour .
One gig to always remember .17 of the crew on stage having a guitar jam session at the end .

torqueless

Senior Retro Guru
Got a nice mild warning feeling.
Typo? Freudian slip?

Serendipitous pic. posted to me by a friend in Brittany a few days ago. This one seems to have our name on it... figuratively... not literally... afaik..

Attachments

• IMG-20220630-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220630-WA0003.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 10

Mickeyspinn

rBotM Winner
I've been rumbled !
Wanna make an export/import long barrel gun...so I can lob bike stuff over to imlach and he can dodge all those import duties 👍

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Enjoying the tooling and workshop discussion. Rather envious. Seems a good time I share one of my favourite tools:

- Retro✔️It's been with me since 1992.
- Beautifully engineered ✔️Swissmade, no corner cutting.
- Self centring ✔️ A proper corkscrew worm with an added external groove. Not a thin wire curly pig tail.
- Open framed ✔️Can see what is going on.
- Endless turn / continuous turn ✔️ A joy to use. A mechanical wonder.
- Bombproof ✔️ Feels good and weighty in the hand.
- Maintenance free ✔️
- Reliable ✔️.... it's never failed, ever. Even removing damaged corks and corks that have been swelled up for +20 years.

I utterly despair and wouldn't be seen dead with a bullshit battery operated corkscrew. WTF is the world coming to? Can't count the number of times I see friends struggling with shitty Chinese made floppy rubbish. plastic rubbish, and overpriced "designer" rubbish. There's no point in splashing out on wine if you can't get in the damn thing due to poor tooling ;)

1656674251763.png

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
For the bike packers and campers who don't want to carry a cellar corkscrew, this type would be my recommendation.

Stainless steel knife, bottle opener, non-stick non-rust pig tail, double hinged and with a slightly extended lever. Low weight.

Folds up very well with nothing sticking out and outperforms pretty much every other pocket type. Known as a Sommelier's corkscrew.

1656679708749.png

Mickeyspinn

rBotM Winner
Enjoying the tooling and workshop discussion. Rather envious. Seems a good time I share one of my favourite tools:

- Retro✔️It's been with me since 1992.
- Beautifully engineered ✔️Swissmade, no corner cutting.
- Self centring ✔️ A proper corkscrew worm with an added external groove. Not a thin wire curly pig tail.
- Open framed ✔️Can see what is going on.
- Endless turn / continuous turn ✔️ A joy to use. A mechanical wonder.
- Bombproof ✔️ Feels good and weighty in the hand.
- Maintenance free ✔️
- Reliable ✔️.... it's never failed, ever. Even removing damaged corks and corks that have been swelled up for +20 years.

I utterly despair and wouldn't be seen dead with a bullshit battery operated corkscrew. WTF is the world coming to? Can't count the number of times I see friends struggling with shitty Chinese made floppy rubbish. plastic rubbish, and overpriced "designer" rubbish. There's no point in splashing out on wine if you can't get in the damn thing due to poor tooling ;)

View attachment 640263
That is built to last a pro vino drinkers tool👍
I treated my self to a bottle of plonk on a ride rather shocked it was a cork and not twist cap....wasn't carrying a bottle opener.... unlike me...found a woodscrew in the kerb gutter and used pliers cheap wine never tasted so good!