Syncros Forged Cranks - any info please ?? (PIC)

Prometheus

Senior Retro Guru
Got these from Steve Worland last year. Looks like they're post hammer'n'cycle era. They are pretty much the same as the cranks with 'syncros' engraved in them but instead they have the decal/painted logos. I've never seen any others exactly the same though? Are they any good, I seem to remember that the engraved ones got a bit of a rep for snapping :?

Any info including year of production much appreciated...

syncroscrank01.jpg

Has no-one any info on these then :(

Anyone hazard a guess at the age? When did Syncros lose the Hammer'n'cycle logo?

i had some but mine had the engraved logo, rather than printed.
mine were in a 20th anniversary box kit.
not seen printed ones before.
e-mail syncros?

never seen those either. i only know of two versions. engraved logo at top of arms and engraved logo at bottom of arms. also thought they only came in compact. yours look to be standard rings. :?

is the lower two arms of the spider still removable on yours?

img_2752_141.jpg

img_2849_117.jpg

RockiMtn":r2bniqcc said:
never seen those either. i only know of two versions. engraved logo at top of arms and engraved logo at bottom of arms. also thought they only came in compact. yours look to be standard rings. :?

is the lower two arms of the spider still removable on yours?

They are compact not standard and the lower spider is removable. the rings are very nice being ramped, unlike the other set of syncros rings that i've got. I guess it's a mystery then :? . Perhaps i'll try to get back to Mr.Worland and see if he's got any info on them.

Here's a few more pics :

syncroscrank02.jpg

syncroscrank03.jpg

syncroscrank04.jpg

looks exactly like what mine are except the logo engraving. i've not owned any Syncros rings, but i've been told gold rings are non-ramped and dark grey are ramped.

I saw a set of these on mtbr or a local classified (forget which) with the printing instead of engraving. No idea about the year, just figured I'd say i saw some so you don't think you have the only ones. Seems like an 'updated' version of the old. Nice rings!

i'm quite sure your cranks are early 2000 as i have the forged aluminium cranks with the engraved logotype in my 1999 catalogue. it would also fit with the timeline outlined in the wikipedia article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncros
btw. the syncros logo with the two rings was introduced when the company moved from canada to california afaik.

Ok. There is a 3rd Syncros forged crank. I've got it on the P20. Its the non engraved type, has the 2 ring logo. Its got the removeable spider. The big difference with the ones i have is the bottom bracket interface. It uses a shimano octalink M952 splined bottom bracket. Nice cranks

Back