Sturmey Archer. New Question Page 2.

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Evening Peeps. As you know I am saving a scrap Moulton and have now dismantled the rear wheel and will have a go at my first full wheel build in the next day or two. The hub has now been cleaned inside and out and has the following text engraved on to it:

Sturmey Archer England

S5 68.

FIVE SPEED

I believe the 68 refers to the year? The five speed should be self explanatory, but I thought it was a 3 speed? Certainly the shifter only has 3 gears.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 328
Re: Sturmey Archer Questions.

Is it possible that a 3 speed like an AW internal has been fitted.
My experience with SA was a little before the 5 speed, but I thought I could remember 2 controls. The hub shell could be the same, the 4 speeds always had 5 gear ratios in them, with 2 trains of epicyclics.

Thanks everyone. They certainly are interesting pieces of engineering. I will have another look at the internals tomorrow when I take it apart to replace a pawl spring.

Best of luck........I hated The damn things and left the dismantling / rebuilding to "Bunny". I was left to deal with the new fangled stuff like Campag and Shimano :)

Shaun

S5 is definitely a 5 speed shell. and 68 was, I think, the first year that 5-speeds were introduced. It may be that someone at a later date discarded the internals and substituted AW internal. It would fit. No need to dismantle the hub. The 5-speed had a full hollow axle, the AW was only hollow from the gear side to the middle, with a very shallow indent on the nearside. If you cannot insert a fine rod (old spoke, size 0 phillips screwdriver etc) then it is AW. One other possibility is that the internal is a 5, and the LH toggle chain is missing, in which case it will be medium-wide 3-speed 26% increase and 21% decrease.

If you have an S5 (with or without 3-speed internals) on the Mk3 what are you using for a rear brake? :shock:

fjsrider":8q6hb5x7 said:
If you have an S5 (with or without 3-speed internals) on the Mk3 what are you using for a rear brake? :shock:

It has chrome calipers fitted, front and back complete with John Bull brake blocks.

Back