Stumpjumper M2 Comp 1996

DaveStumpy

Retro Newbie
Here's my 96/97 Stumpy M2 Comp
Photos taken 2022
Kielder Lakseide way south
20220522_124719.jpg
Consett about to descend the Derwent walk to Swalwell.
20220720_180810.jpg
I bought this new in 1996 from Hardisty Cycles,Byker, Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
It was circa £1100
Immediately prior I was running a Canondale F400 polished ally frame model, however it was stolen.
Insurance company plus some more hard earned paid for the Stumpy.
Its done 1000s of miles I can't catalogue everything, did the Southern Upland Way, Scotland twice on it, carrying camping gear on a rear rack. Had to drill and tap the dropouts to fit the rack. No such luxuries as threaded bosses or anything for accessories in that area on the original comp frame.
Its been ran as XC flyer, commuter, child seat carrier, touring with tent.
Its fast an nimble, still able to run and many a time better than modern stuff, even with the original 55 year old pilot :D
I've had it longer than I've had the wife and kids 😎

The spec:
Original battle scarred Metal Matrix frame
2nd set of Manitou Answer elastomer forks
Wheels:
Front
Original Specialized 32h hub with Mavic 238 rim. Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35 Addix
Rear
Hope hub with 36 spoke Mavic XC717 rim. Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25.

Chainset:
Shimano Hollowtech 175 cranks
XT front mech
LX rear Mech
Sram 11-26 9 speed
Triple ring Deore 44-32-22
LX rapidfire shifters

Shimano V brakes replaced the original Avids
Shimano PD-A530 pedals (dual use for when out with the kids)

Annoyances:
Rear dropout keeps coming loose
Front spokes need regular tensioning
Manitous need new slider bushes
Need to get the remains of orange reflective tape from seat stays (winter urban commute residue)

Usage:
Currently use it for prepared forestry trails (I use my Scott for singletrack now)
23 mile each way commute
Going out with the kids

Other bikes
2013 Scott Genius 910
2018 Cervelo S2

Last edited:
That’s interesting, thanks for the write-up and pics.
Here’s a scan of a couple of pages from the original Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative catalogue from 1996 (I probably acquired it in early 96 “with the compliments of the staff !”).
Your Stumpjumper M2 Comp is priced at £1999.95 in the catalogue, so you must have got a real bargain from Hardisty at the time! 👍

1659720616000.jpeg

1659720701949.jpeg

Here’s a scan of a couple of pages from the original Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative catalogue from 1996 (I probably acquired it in early 96 “with the compliments of the staff !”).
Your Stumpjumper M2 Comp is priced at £1999.95 in the catalogue, so you must have got a real bargain from Hardisty at the time! 👍

View attachment 649801Great! There was a deal made at the time. Such a long time back, I can't remember the exacts of it.
I got my Cervelo S2 from the same place some 24 years later.

View attachment 649801

View attachment 649802
I looked up my details and yes I did buy it in 1996, and it is a 97 bike.

Guess it must be that change-over period 2nd half of the year.
My own Stumpjumper A1 FS, the frame is dated 1996 (stamped on the rear dropout, see pic), and it’s in the 96 catalogue, however the Shimano components, mechs, etc are all dated 95 (TG TH etc).
1660124551385.jpeg

Guess it must be that change-over period 2nd half of the year.
My own Stumpjumper A1 FS, the frame is dated 1996 (stamped on the rear dropout, see pic), and it’s in the 96 catalogue, however the Shimano components, mechs, etc are all dated 95 (TG TH etc).
View attachment 650871
Mine is similar starting with 97. It came with Avid brakes and Shimano chainset and Manitou forks.

Here's my 96/97 Stumpy M2 Comp
Photos taken 2022
Kielder Lakseide way south
View attachment 649364
Consett about to descend the Derwent walk to Swalwell.
View attachment 649366
I bought this new in 1996 from Hardisty Cycles,Byker, Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
It was circa £1100
Immediately prior I was running a Canondale F400 polished ally frame model, however it was stolen.
Insurance company plus some more hard earned paid for the Stumpy.
Its done 1000s of miles I can't catalogue everything, did the Southern Upland Way, Scotland twice on it, carrying camping gear on a rear rack. Had to drill and tap the dropouts to fit the rack. No such luxuries as threaded bosses or anything for accessories in that area on the original comp frame.
Its been ran as XC flyer, commuter, child seat carrier, touring with tent.
Its fast an nimble, still able to run and many a time better than modern stuff, even with the original 55 year old pilot :D
I've had it longer than I've had the wife and kids 😎

The spec:
Original battle scarred Metal Matrix frame
2nd set of Manitou Answer elastomer forks
Wheels:
Front
Original Specialized hub with Mavic 238 rim. Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35 Addix
Rear
Hope hub with 36 spoke Mavic XC717 rim. Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25.

Chainset:
Shimano Hollowtech 175 cranks
XT front mech
LX rear Mech
Sram 11-26 9 speed
Triple ring Deore 44-32-22
LX rapidfire shifters

Shimano V brakes replaced the original Avids
Shimano PD-A530 pedals (dual use for when out with the kids)

Annoyances:
Rear dropout keeps coming loose
Front spokes need regular tensioning
Manitous need new slider bushes
Need to get the remains of orange reflective tape from seat stays (winter urban commute residue)

Usage:
Currently use it for prepared forestry trails (I use my Scott for singletrack now)
23 mile each way commute
Going out with the kids

Other bikes
2013 Scott Genius 910
2018 Cervelo S2
Is that front specialized hub 28h or 32h?

Latest posts

Back