Wanted Stem for 1" threadless steerer and 1 1/4" (31.8mm) bars.

andy_p

Retro Newbie
I'm not sure if this stem exists, but if it does, it would finish off my old tourer/commute bike. The bike has a 1" aheadset / threadless steerer, and a newish set of bars with 31.8mm diameter. Is there a stem that would join the two without an adapter?

Unfortunately I don't think you'll find one, as the 1 1/8 steerer became standard before the move to oversize bars

Realistically you have 2 options (you probably already know this, sorry)

1. Use a 1 1/8 steerer stem with a hidden shim, which to me is the better option
2. Look for a 1" stem with a 26mm bar dia and then get modern shaped bars to fit 26mm, eg Deda piega

Thanks for the response, pigman. I'm already doing option 1, but then someone rather unkindly pointed out that the bulky stem ruins the lines of the slender frame tubing, and now I can't unsee it!

I'm tempted by option 2, but finding a stem is still very hard and it's a lot of work to swap everything over. I'd also be very limited in bars I can use, and I like the existing thicker bar section as the bike gets a lot of abuse.

If you're seriously considering a 1" ahead stem for 26mm bars, then I have a nice (although pretty rare) Cinelli Sesamo stem I can offer. It's got quite a short extention though, so no good if you're after something long. Also got a steel Salsa stem that has some length to it, but I'd have to check what the bar clamp size is for this is, as is possibly 25.4mm.

Righto
Thanks for the offer, that's a nice stem but would be out of place on my bike!
Righto, I admit it's a bit exotic and not appropriate for every bike. But really, for this type of unusual 1" stem I don't think you'll find too many examples, exotic or otherwise:)

That's true enough, I have been looking on and off for several years. However, as I already have something that works (1 1/8" stem with a shim), it's just an asthetic issue and I can still be choosy. I suppose my other option is resume the hunt for a 1" threaded fork with canti bosses and go back to a quill stem, or maybe even get comfortable with the idea of bending the original fork back into shape... All of these are a lot of hassle though, for a relatively minor issue.

what's up with the original forks? depending how bent, a framebuilder might be able to reset them for you. Stems for 1" steerer and 31.8 bars as far as I know just don't exist. 1" and 26.0 bar do exist, but they're not common. Some stems designed for 1 1/8" steerers are less bulky than others so look around and you might find something that doesn't look too out of place.

Original fork looks like it got ridden head-on into something solid at speed - there's a bend of maybe 15 degrees backwards in each leg. I'm sure it could be bent back into shape to look like it's all good, I just wasn't convinced it was a reliable solution for a bike that carries heavy loads and sees a lot of use.

15' is probably too much, but I'm no framebuilder. Post a pic, there are builders on here that will be able to give a better answer than me. My KHS had a high speed incident with a closed gate in the mid 90's, head tube cracked partially away from the frame and forks bent enough to be noticeable. Got the frame brazed and the forks straightened, since then it's had some heavy duty touring and a lot of riding, and is still fine. Not every bent tube is necessarily a write off!

Back