Steerer too short for new frame, get another fork? Steerer?

kjarrett

Retro Guru
Found an Axis Pro frame locally, started yesterday moving all the XT/LX bits from my Response Elite over to it, including the XC-51 front fork. Measured the headtubes and as far as I could tell, thought it would be fine. Not so, see pics. Cups are pressed in firmly and correctly (bought a tool for the job.)

How big a deal is this? Doesn't appear safe or that it would stay tight very long. :(

I'm trying to keep this bike period correct and if I replaced it I'd want a Marzocchi fork from this era, I do like the XC-51 I have now. These things are hard to find obviously.

Possible / advisable to instead get a longer steerer tube fitted and cut to the proper length?

What would you recommend? Thanks for any advice!

-kj-

Attachments

• IMG_4347.jpg
    IMG_4347.jpg
    958.3 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_4348.jpg
    IMG_4348.jpg
    877.1 KB · Views: 426
Re:

That looks just about OK to me. Depends on the kind of riding you're going to be doing but it's easy enough to keep an eye on whether the headset is working loose. It's not going to fail in any spectacular fashion as the top lock nut is only there to stop the main cup coming loose.

Worth adding that the top lock nut on that headset is taller than average. It's not unusual for a top nut to be a similar height to the remaining thread on that steerer.

If in doubt a lower stack height headset would safely solve the problem. Likely easier than a new set of forks.

Thanks for your input Cap'n, hadn't considered a new headset with a lower stack height. Or finding a slimmer nut. I like those ideas more than replacing the steerer or fork, which was my current thinking. Glad I asked!

Re:

Looks OK to me, it could be a little longer I suppose but remember the top nut is a locknut that stops the bottom one unscrewing. If the steerer is too long then the locknut won't do its job and the headset will endlessly come unscrewed.

EDIT: Yeah, what he said^

Re:

I don't know the fork well, but a lot of older marz forks had a replaceable steerer. If you are worried, you could search for a longer one.

The steerers are replaceable, yes. Right now I’m hoping that a smaller locknut will get the job done! Thanks for your reply!

Re:

5 threads left is fine. 3 would be my minimum. I would leave it and keep an eye on it. Possibly use some loctite.

Thanks for your reply! The build is coming along nicely. Just cables and some adjustments left.

If this bike rides half as good as it looks I’m going to be very happy. Have a few concerns though, another post coming.

Attachments

• IMG_5392.jpg
    IMG_5392.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 352
Back