STATION TO STATION PART 3 Proper retro chip run.

Great day out today with THM & Our Jimmy... parked up this morning in the road next to Station Car Park, Robin Hoods Bay, (well this is Yorkshire and we’ll not waste brass) nice 6 mile climb up to Ravenscar Station on the old Cinder track railway route.
EB7ECB15-BE84-440C-A6B6-8119BC3DD795.jpeg Our Jimmy freewheeling most of the time whilst he waited for the old steel boys to catch up. Near the end we decided to have a crack at the tunnel that cuts under Ravenscar point.
it’s not really rideable (especially without lights) I wasn’t sure about it, but the really big kid insisted.🤦‍♂️
331869B3-5D7E-4749-B5E3-207E51E5D14E.jpeg
Arriving safely out the other end on the old platform 😁
F227DE4E-DB76-4C37-A202-4F36FE3515B3.jpeg
6 mile freewheel back, for sausage rolls & cake (we’ll not pay cafe prices!)

You’re ‘cautious sensible dad’ impersonation was admirable. Golden years?

An open doorway into an unknown, unlit, curving railway tunnel was irresistible to me. I was 50 yards in before they had the chance not to follow.
Thanks for persuading me out. Thoroughly enjoyable day. 86825130-F7AC-4CE1-8D65-6E38226DFDED.jpeg

Last edited:
Been on holiday as a kid to a cottage at Ravenscar. Never knew about the tunnel or old railway, interesting:)

Been on holiday as a kid to a cottage at Ravenscar. Never knew about the tunnel or old railway, interesting:)
Not surprising, in the summer months it’s so overgrown that it’s almost impossible to find

Done Scabby to Rhb n back loads and I didn’t know about tunnel either or I’d a been in there

How long is it?
The Tunnel? No more than 200m I'd guess
Done Scabby to Rhb n back loads and I didn’t know about tunnel either or I’d a been in there
The entrances are deep in the undergrowth, a quick look at Google maps satellite view shows the route quite clearly.
Quick screen grab below shows roughly the route people normally ride in solid red, the dashed red line is the route we took. RavenscarTunnel.JPG

Back