Spokes length on Pulstar hubs...

That would be the website I linked to, I just linked to his improved calculator (the book hasn't been updated)
The line has a straight spoke option (it's no different in reality) and instruction on measuring the important stuff for straight pull.

I've had that book for ages, though a few version now. Great read and you get all updates

Here's an insight to different calculators by Roger https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/support/spoke-length-calculators/

and a Cut and Paste of
For cross laced straight pull hubs, the measurement is taken at the extended crossing point of two spokes. If the spokes are close to tangent then the diameter can be measured to the centre of the spoke holes, if they are not tangent (as shown in this diagram) then it's the midpoint between the diameters of the spoke entry and exit holes. A small error when measuring the diameter on cross laced wheels will not affect the spoke lengths

sp-diameter.png

For radial straight pull hubs the diameter is measured at the position where the spoke seats.

obtained by selecting straight pull in the first box and clicking on Hub Diameter.
Very interesting !! Thanks !! I've build some wheels between three decades, but for all, they're always with j-bend spokes and with measurements easily available, so with help of difference spoke calculatorsI almost always found the right length, with some exceptions. But it's my first straight spokes wheelset build and apparently taking right measures isn't so easy... Good challenge... :LOL:

About spoke length and spoke length differences (not specific to Pulstar hubs), I've just checked two factory built wheelsets, both 32-hole Shimano M737 (HB front, FH rear) hubs on Mavic M231 rims, 3-cross pattern:
- 1st wheelset (Raleigh): 267mm front, 267/265 (drive side) rear;
- 2nd wheelset (Peugeot): 270mm front, 268/266 (drive side) rear.

Last edited:
Sure the Raleigh front wasn't 36hole as that would be the expected length.
Rear (and possible from could be rounding down and using short spokes.
Did the ends sit lower in the spoke.
(which is basically what you calculations are for).

The Peugeot seems fine for both and as expected.

Always fun to see how people build wheels, different nipples, and j bends can alter it I guess.

Yes, certain both wheels of both wheelsets are 32-hole. One noticeable difference between the wheelsets though is the spoke thickness: double-butted 1.8/1.5 for the Raleigh one, 2.0/1.8 for the Pug. Does it make sense or is the spoke thickness irrelevant when determining the correct length?

Back