Specialized Rockhopper renovation project

Amlabenz

Retro Newbie
Hey, I've recently purchased a specialized rockhopper from ebay. I'm fairly new to the world of bikes but keen to learn!

Here's the before picture - Screenshot_20220105-091705.png

I've taken it apart but having issues with a seized seat. Aside from this I'm not quite sure what parts to go with. The long term goal is to build something like this - specialized-rockhopper-1992-by-glassrobot-cover-large.jpg

Any recommendations on parts would be greatly appreciated!

It seems like you could probably use most of the existing parts unless they are broken or too worn out. The cassette (rear cogs), chainrings (front cogs), chain, cables and cable housing, and brake pads might need replacing. You can also replace rear derailleur pulley wheels if needed at fairly low cost. All those parts should be available to one degree or another on the internet with a few minutes of searching. Otherwise, everything should be pretty usable. You could replace the existing crankset with the one you suggested (may have to get a different bottom bracket for best fitting), but I'm not sure it would get you a big change. Are you looking for chainrings with more teeth? I'm about to put a new 1x10 drive train on my wife's old Specialized Crossroads (same as what's in the "after" picture you posted), and I can get a decent one on the internet for around $200 US. I'd think you could get something similar with the appropriate number of gears to fit that rear hub for a similar price. That way you can ditch the existing grip shifters unless you like them (I'm not a fan). Hopefully, that helps a little, apologies if it's not helpful or patronizing. Old Mtn bikes make for great cruisers!

It seems like you could probably use most of the existing parts unless they are broken or too worn out. The cassette (rear cogs), chainrings (front cogs), chain, cables and cable housing, and brake pads might need replacing. You can also replace rear derailleur pulley wheels if needed at fairly low cost. All those parts should be available to one degree or another on the internet with a few minutes of searching. Otherwise, everything should be pretty usable. You could replace the existing crankset with the one you suggested (may have to get a different bottom bracket for best fitting), but I'm not sure it would get you a big change. Are you looking for chainrings with more teeth? I'm about to put a new 1x10 drive train on my wife's old Specialized Crossroads (same as what's in the "after" picture you posted), and I can get a decent one on the internet for around $200 US. I'd think you could get something similar with the appropriate number of gears to fit that rear hub for a similar price. That way you can ditch the existing grip shifters unless you like them (I'm not a fan). Hopefully, that helps a little, apologies if it's not helpful or patronizing. Old Mtn bikes make for great cruisers!
No need to apologize, this was really helpful! As for the chainring, I'm not quite sure yet. The one that came with the bike is fairly worn down 🙈

Regarding seatpost and stem - what would you recommend?

if you’re looking for a more upright “cruiser” position then go with a shorter stem but keep the same angle similar to the one on the purple bike. You could also keep the original stem and get some cruiser style handlebars with a big back sweep which would also put you in a more upright position. Cruiser bars can be bought fairly cheap (steel) or a little more money for aluminum. Just pay attention to the diameter of the bars where the stem would clamp as some cruiser bars are quite thin (22.2mm) compared to mountain bike handlebars (usually 25.4mm on older mtn bikes). Assuming you have to destroy the seat post to get it out, you can replace with a decent aluminum one for cheap (<$20). If you get it unstuck without destroying, you can re-use as long as there’s no damage. I believe you can turn the bike upside down on a towel and pour solvent into the bottom bracket junction (remove bottom bracket first of course). Let it soak for a day or two then add more solvent. Stick the seatpost with a towel around it in a vice and gently work the frame back and forth. Add patience and more solvent. Sometimes it works. Link to drive train parts if you want new - Parts. you’d still need a crankset but you might be able to get a narrow/wide chain ring that fits the existing crank’s bcd (bolt spacing on chainrings).

The towel + vice approach worked a treat! Thanks for the tip. I think I'm going to swap seatpost and stem in favor of some black ones to match the new crankset. The rear wheel/hub needs to be changed as well. I think the one on it now is a 7 speed cassette. The 1x10 drive train you mentioned earlier is quite tempting!

Awesome! I'm excited to see what you end up with, sounds like it will be pretty cool. Personally, I'm a fan of the retromod style (new parts on old bike) over trying to keep all the parts period correct (but I like when other people do that). Something you might consider is getting a set of v-brakes and levers to replace the existing cantilever brakes and levers. You can get Tektro brand v-brakes and levers that are easier to set up and generally have better stopping power than cantilever style for probably less than $40. You probably already looked into it. I'll be stoked to check out some pictures when you finish!

Awesome! I'm excited to see what you end up with, sounds like it will be pretty cool. Personally, I'm a fan of the retromod style (new parts on old bike) over trying to keep all the parts period correct (but I like when other people do that). Something you might consider is getting a set of v-brakes and levers to replace the existing cantilever brakes and levers. You can get Tektro brand v-brakes and levers that are easier to set up and generally have better stopping power than cantilever style for probably less than $40. You probably already looked into it. I'll be stoked to check out some pictures when you finish!
Me too! The retromod style is a good fusion. It's nice to see period correct projects, but like you I'm not as bothered, and some of the newer parts make life easier. Yeah those are the ones I'm planning on getting. Just gotta get the paint stripped and repainted and all that other fun longevity stuff sorted then will make a start. Found some cheap maxxis tyres on ebay the other day, just need a good rear wheel/hub now as the current one is an old 7speed if I remember correctly. But will do my man. I'm also curious to see how this turns out haha

Back