Some Cooks related questions...

pw_pw_la

Senior Retro Guru
So, I have a few questions for the experts on here...

1. What's the deal with bottom brackets and CBR/Cooks/CQP cranks again? A specific sort, or length of spindle? And can those be purchased and threaded through any other bottom bracket, or is it that a specific bottom bracket is needed to run Cooks/CQP cranks, and if so, which ones?

Sorry, I know all this info is on here in countless other places already, but I had a quick search and it didn't throw anything up immediately that broke it down for me succinctly.

2. I have the CBR/COOKS/CQP timeline/story correct in my mind (I believe). But what's the deal with Matrix? I saw those Cooks-esque cranks posted in the for sale thread a while back. Did Cooks make these for Matrix? Was Matrix actually Cooks? What exactly was it if it wasn't? What else did they make?!

All and any info regarding the above greatly appreciated.

I think there’s something on Mombat.
I had a Cook BB and there was nothing special/different but I swopped it for a CQP and that’s a little different

Hmmm, I always struggle to locate stuff on Mombat, as the search function no longer works...

Good to know the Cook BB wasn't any different... dDoes that mean, spindle length aside, any bottom bracket should work with a Cook Bros Racing crank? And if so, what about a Cooks or CQP crank? I'm talking dogbone style for all, also.

Yes, no special BB needed for a Cook crank. Earlier versions of the crank needed a longer spindle (IIRC 133mm?), later ones a more reasonable size (128mm?). But depending on the frame you may get along with a shorter spindle also.

The Matrix cranks were indeed Cooks, relabeled by Trek for their halo 8900 bike (lugged carbon, Bullseye hubs, Grafton brakes). Matrix was their house brand. There was also a Matrix labeled Answer Hyperlight bar along with their own set of rims and otherwise "no name" components.

Again, this is all from memory, did not check any catalogues.

...and this is my CQP BB and M-2000 crank. The shims just set the chainline and everything is held in place by the locking ring.

Attachments

• IMG_9329.JPG
    IMG_9329.JPG
    513 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4454.jpg
    IMG_4454.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4452.jpg
    IMG_4452.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4453.jpg
    IMG_4453.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 14
Legends both!

I just impulsively purchased a minty-looking Matix Hyperlite for a backup black bar option. And this got me thinking about those Matix/Cooks cranks.

Good to finally understand what those are/were all about!

I think there's another set on eBay right now too as it happens...

Anyway, good to have confirmation on bottom brackets needed and not. Thanks Swede for the direct link and the photos of your lovely CQP combo!

Did anyone else see that weird/prototype CQP crankset that just got listed on eBay over the weekend?

Cheap as chips, of course!

Why don't you guy's think about Phil Wood BB?! Titanium or Steel, there are multiple lenght available 128mm +5R and so on. Also you can adjust the BB cups! cheers

...and this is my CQP BB and M-2000 crank. The shims just set the chainline and everything is held in place by the locking ring.
any idea what length the inner ring bolts + spacers are? I have a set of m2000 cranks inbound and trying to get ahead of it with the necessary hardware.

and to contribute - this is the BB I am putting together for my early, press fit, pre Grease Guard, Merlin

BB shell is 70mm wide with a 30mm diameter
bearings are ID 17mm, OD 30mm, and 7mm wide
127.5mm long spindle with a 56mm fatter bit in the middle. 56mm + (7mm*2) = 70mm which is the width of my bb shell. The bit just inside of the square tapers is 15.75mm diameter and ~10mm wide
collars are ID 5/8" which is 15.875mm. I am hoping that 1/10th of a mm is no problem. collars are ~8mm wide

_1002176.jpg

phil bearings
ti spindle from ebay
ti collars from SRP

should work in theory, just have to figure out how to press it all together and into the shell. Will report back.

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back