<<<SOLD>>> Chas Roberts D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X Frame, Forks & Stem

oext

Retro Newbie
35767423772_c93e7ef5b9_b.jpg

Hi all,

Sorry to have my first post be a FS one but also I'm not really involved in the retro- (or otherwise) biking scene any more and wouldn't have much to add elsewhere.
If this is taboo, let me know and I'll take the ad down.

As many of you may have noticed, this frame-set was recently up for sale on ebay.
It had a fair few offers but unfortunately, due in part to the 10% ebay would take in fees, none quite close enough to the final figure I was looking for.

All parts have already been packaged (bubble-wrap and then pipe insulation foam tubing) and a heavy-duty cardboard bike box (used) has been set aside for final packing.
I would recommend collection though, given the value although I'm happy for the buyer to arrange delivery at their cost if personal collection isn't possible.

Below is the description that was on ebay but if you need to know anything else, just post below or PM.

---

This frame (plus straight-blade forks and stem) was custom built for me (approx 6'1" height, 33" inseam) in 1992 (frame stamped "920205").
I traveled to Chas' workshop in Croydon (in December 1991) to be personally measured up by the great man himself and to discuss details.

The design ended up as per standard for this model -- i.e. a stunning, fillet brazed combination of various top-of-the-line Steel tubing from Reynolds (753, with some 531 used for the Forks ) and Columbus (Nivacrom Max OR).
Only the dimensions were customised, to fit.

It was completed several months later, at a cost of around £1350 (IIRC) and has since spent the majority of its life in an insulated loft, generally untouched.

While these frames were rare enough in themselves, with annual production barely reaching double digits, this one is even more so as it has never been used.
It hasn't even had components fitted to it apart from (very briefly - a matter of minutes) a Wheelset, to check the 'built size'.

Structurally then, it is in the expected 'perfect' condition.
The original powder-coat paintwork has picked up a few chips (see photos, where I have tried to capture most of them), from being handled/moved over the years but apart from these, it's basically as new.

Also included is an unused Ti Stem Bolt purchased at the same time and a couple of the original Aluminium stem wedges (one of which was ground down slightly by Chas for a better fit. The other is stock/untouched.)
The only thing missing, as far as I can recall, is the original stem cap, which was just a low-cost generic one and is easily replaced.

---

Specifications:

Ultra stiff Columbus Max OR main frame

Composite rear stays:
Extra stiff 4130 horseshoe to minimize brake flex
Silver soldered Reynolds 753 stays
Columbus SL monostay
Massive clearances to eliminate mud build up

Forkplay segmented fork:
Reynolds 531 Crown and Steerer
Reynolds 753 Legs

White powder-coat base, finished in D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X team colours
Custom Roberts stem built individually to suit each frame

---

35097663074_90db735fde_b.jpg

35097662834_0577bb44b8_b.jpg

35128347053_4974c5c8ae_b.jpg

35128347323_2be55d56c4_b.jpg

35937604995_c8b5fdd823_c.jpg

35896694146_6263a502c8_c.jpg

35937605935_3c0a0ce096_c.jpg

35805501961_0367636e0a_b.jpg

35937607075_bc49083e0a_b.jpg

35767423362_2dfd64f50e_b.jpg

35805502481_1902ed0065_c.jpg

NOW SOLD

Re: NOS 1992 - Chas Roberts D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X Frame, Forks &amp; Stem

First bump, for the weekend.

Ever since I first saw this I always wondered why someone would go to the lengths of being measured up then have a frame custom built for them at a great expense then not use it.....

Buyer probably will get the full story with the frame ;)

Hotwheels.":2ceh2t5o said:
Ever since I first saw this I always wondered why someone would go to the lengths of being measured up then have a frame custom built for them at a great expense then not use it.....

Nothing too mysterious I'm afraid.

I was still a pimply teenager when the frame was completed and I had plans for a very pricey, top-spec, exotic build later in the year, funded by a Summer job and parental assistance.

Alas the Summer job never happened and what with being generally happy with the current bike I was riding and a slowly waning interest in mountain biking over the course of the next year or two, it simply never took off.

I always maintained that it would be completed "one day" so kept the frame in that hope, but the current reality is that I'm spending more and more time abroad and there are just way too many other things, hobbies and otherwise, monopolising my time and resources.

The greater hope now is that it goes to a good home to be used as intended and that I'll be able to finally give a definitive answer to friends and family who persist in asking me "whatever happened to that really expensive bike frame you bought when you were a kid?".

I would dearly love to buy this, sadly bank balance doesn't help me.
Have a free bump.

videojetman":1e2c518c said:
I would dearly love to buy this, sadly bank balance doesn't help me.
Have a free bump.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Weekend bump and price drop.
Now £1450.

Back