So I learned something today... Genius

Frank Z

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A few weeks ago I bought an old Bioracer mountainbike. I wanted to use the Manitou Skareb Super fork that came with it on a Giant ATX550 frame, to be rattlecan-painted by me (thank you, ETOE, for your videos).

360.jpg

When I disassembled the bike I was very surprised to find the tubing decal say it is made from Columbus Genius tubing!

360.jpg

Proper examination revealed some potentially nice fillet brazing of the toptube and headtube assembly.

360.jpg

360.jpg

The bottom bracket cups were stuck, so I tried to get them loose with Rustyco and accelerent. The nondrive side cup went out nicely. The driveside cup not so much. Having tried everything, including heating, I decided to gently hacksaw it.

360.jpg

That worked out nicely. After trying to turn the remnant loose, which did not work, I squeezed the cup loose with waterpump pliers and pulled it out: it turned out that the bottom bracket has an Italian thread! I never made the connection 'Columbus' and 'Italian thread', also because the driveside cup wouldn't turn anti-clockwise. It never occurred to me to measure the diameter of the nondriveside cup nor the width of the bottom bracket...

Fortunately the driveside thread seems to remain in good order, although I still would have to check. Unfortunately the bottom tube has a ding approximately 7-8 cm's under the headtube.

360.jpg

I wonder what your thoughts are about the integrity of the frame, riding it with the ding?
Also, the width of the BB-UN72 axle that came with it, has length of 107,8 cm. Is that an odd size? It seems rather narrow to me.
The fork was a later/'02 upgrade. What rigid fork would you recommend for this '91-'93-ish frame?
I would be glad to hear your advice.

Last edited:
Hey thats a nice frame, Columbus Genuis tubing is really nice. I wouldn't worry too much about that small dent. If you get the frame repainted you could always get the dent filled before paint.

Thank you all for the reassurance. That bb datebase comes in handy!

The frame weighs in at 1870 grams (with some dirt attached in the bottom bracket area). Seattube is 53 cm c-t, toptube is 58 cm c-c. Headtube is 10 cm.

Now on to collecting parts and thinking about a non-black paintjob!

Hello Frank,

What happened to the frame?

Is it the same as with all Bioracer frames I got aware of - no frame number?

With kind regards,

Volker

Hi Volker,

I still have got the frame: this project has been sidelined a bit.
No frame number indeed.

Best regards,
Frank

Thank you for your fast feedback!

I just purchased my second Bio Racer MTB frame in the Netherlands and it seems to be more or less the same like yours (Genius tubes).

My first is little more modern - I would guess from around 1998.

The time will come - then you will finish building up the bike.

With kind regards,

Volker

Back