So......... I have this itch......

Yogi bear

Retro Guru
My fetish has traditionally been a mix of aluminium or carbon bikes from small scale manufacturers, but i have really been getting the hankering for a good ol' bit of British steel recently.
Im thinking that an Orange prestige / Clokwork would be the obvious choice and always admired them (actually bought an Aluminium Elite).
I have forgotten so many of the other bikes that were available bitd.
Does any one have any alternative suggestions?

Have you seen the Overbury's frame Peachy has up for sale?

Have you seen the Overbury's frame Peachy has up for sale?
Mmmmh, Just had a look.........its nice, very nice, but unfortunately too nice.
Looking for a project ideally. Happy to strip and respray etc, but nothing dented.

Due to incoming projects this frame and forks are up for sale

Have a look at Dawes. I bought an Edge frame in 653 here for peanuts (it had issues) and it's superb. Dawes are well-made and used some great tubesets - which would be considered exotic on an American brand. Their marketing was hopeless, but are worth a try.

Given your experience with carbon and al I would very much recommend having a bash with some steel. The Orange Prestige tubesets are fabulous. If you are very sensitive to price then I would think quite widely.

Sunn used some very nice Fuji tubesets and lovely frame detailing. The geometry is excellent - very long toptubes and suspension corrected geometry. Cheap and massively underrated.

Kona top end steel also rides brilliantly. But tends to be a bit pricey. Pipmeister has encyclopedeaic knowledge of which tubeset to go for.

As mentioned, Dawes played with some interesting high end tubesets. Conservative geometry.

Cinelli used some lovely Columbus tubing in the late 80s. Very underrated but geometry a bit old - short top tubes.

Marin top end steel was superb. The Team Issue nickel plated has Loooong top tube and flexy in all the rights modes, stiff in all the other important modes. Prices now going up since the quality and ride qualities now recognised.

I really would check out Sunn. Max Commencal was the designer and he knows his stuff.

Back