Slipping Seat Post

billkilpatrick

Dirt Disciple
New, 26 aluminium seat post of my '65' Bianchi keeps slipping. Several sites suggest using hairspray - can this be right ... ?!!? Should I use grease (how much?) or make a shim from an aluminium can? Retro suggestions gratefully received ---

Yes, if you want to reinforce the bond twixt post and tube, definitely use loads of hairspray!
Sure the post is 26? Measure the internal diameter of the seat tube too. What is it?

Yes, if you want to reinforce the bond twixt post and tube, definitely use loads of hairspray!
Sure the post is 26? Measure the internal diameter of the seat tube too. What is it?
Thank you. Measured the existing steel seat post - checked it twice - and it measured 26.0. Having removed it I now see that the frame was squeezed as tight as it can go - so I think the aluminium seat post I bought should have been 26.2. Ah well ... Just ordered a set of three shims, which should solve all problems. Should I apply a thin film of grease to shim and post before installing?

What tubing is your Bianchi? Many folks on here will be able to tell you the exact diameter post that should be fitted. If the frame has been squeezed i. E over tightened the tube maybe slightly"ovalised". So probably no amount of shims are likely to fix it. Whatever the solution yes to grease and plenty of it..

New, 26 aluminium seat post of my '65' Bianchi keeps slipping. Several sites suggest using hairspray - can this be right ... ?!!? Should I use grease (how much?) or make a shim from an aluminium can? Retro suggestions gratefully received ---
It works for carbon but not Alloy

Back