Should I buy my first vintage road bike??

Cosnefoy taking it very well, seems like a very sound fella

French Eurosport are however losing theirs….

While I won't watch it as I don't have satellite, I'm sure there may be some on here who won't appreciate a spoiler result given out.
I'd suggest starting a spoiler racing thread that people can add to all season and those who don't want to know results in advance of watching can avoid

This bike is really cool!!! But it still has to be close to your own suitable height if you use it after restoration, as well as I would like to ask, where do people buy repair parts for those old things?

(...) I would like to ask, where do people buy repair parts for those old things?

Most consumables, such as chains, tyres, inner tubes and cables haven't changed much, and can still be bought new at any bike shop.

For vintage parts it's Gumtree, ebay, forums, car boot sales, swap meets, events and even the odd bike shop.

My favorite local bike shop knows I like "that old stuff" and keeps an eye out for me. This came from one of their customers:

8821daab-8293-432c-9c60-c154aab4e8f5.jpg

I like older stuff and have numerous instapro xender old mtb, and wish my road bike could take wider tyres to deal with a bit of light gravel. I've seen an early 60s Viking which is really tempting me, but feel that if I left the gearing period correct, I'd rarely pull that bike out of the rack, so some sort of update might be on the cards. Also, I'm unsure about tyre choice for a bike of this vintage - I believe it has good clearance, but what about wheel size etc.
First, ensure that your frame and fork have enough clearance to accommodate wider tires. Measure the gap between the existing tires and the frame/fork to see how much extra space you have.

Sure, why not. I have a mid 70's Favori that I'm running 32mm tires on and I could probably squeeze 35's if I deflated the tires first. It rides nice too.

Back