Shimano Tiagra or Sora 130mm into a 26" mtb wheel?

onyerbike531

Retro Guru
My old Raleigh Yukon has 130mm rear spacing, my current generic wheel is 135mm so the back forks are srung to accommodate it.
I have a Shimano Tiagra road hub spare and thinking about getting it built into wheel with a Halo White Line 26" rim, obviously with the correct spacers for the 7 speed cassette, I think the Tiagra can accommodate a 10 or 11 cassette, will I encounter problems with the dish of the wheel if I do this? Would I be better off buying a Sora hub for a 8 9 speed cassette, obvs with the correct spacers to run a 7 I think it has the same 130mm spacing?

Just thinking as I've got the hub and would be nice not to have to spring the frame.

Thanks RB people.

Well I have a wheel like that and similar plan, as it is 26" mavic on 6401 rear hub aka the Shimano 600 tricolor in 8sp version. Didn't yet get to completing the build, but the hub is 130mm and would mean I could run 8-10 speed on a frame with 130mm rear spacing (and hopefully with reasonable chainline, as the 8sp freewheel is wider so I just hope I will be able to make it work without issues because of the width).
In your case, I don't think it would be a problem - all 130mm (I believe), and the spacer would go under the cassette, so that the chainline is same as with 7sp freewheel.
Anyway, if you want to run 7sp rear, it would be easiest just to get 7sp mountain hub or full wheel. That is what I would do.

As said, it will work and fit fine. A 7s freehub will give less dish and a stronger wheel though. I still run 7s on my tourer.

Latest posts

Back