Sealed catridge hub options (non-disk)

Joe_Rides

Senior Retro Guru
Right, I am growing a little tired of fettling cup and cone bearings, especially on old worn out bearing races etc.

What options do I have for 100 / 135mm hubs, non-disk?

I'm too right for Royce. And Chris king.
Hope? (I only ever see disk hubs, or really old ones prone to cracking)
Hadley?

What others?

I have a pair of later halo wheels which use cartridge hubs and they never give me any trouble at all. Just change the bearings every year or so. But they're disk hubs and on a much heavier build. What I am looking for here is for a light xc build.

Cheers

Joe

You can still order 135/100 rim brake hubs from Hope, just not many people stock them. Lead time is about 6-8 weeks on hubs at the moment iirc.
Otherwise, I *think* Novatec do some, but they're not strictly available in the UK so you might get stung on customs.

I'd agree with hope, pro 3 I think are the versions without disc mounts. I have a set with the 135mm rear adapter waiting for that rainy day build along with some NOS 717s.

I can't think of many other MTB hubs I've had personally as like you, think some are too spendy. I've always thought goldtech or Middleburn hubs look good but finding some can be a challenge, especially a matching pair.

White industries or Hadley might be nice options.

Cheers for that, I've never known what to search for with Hope, so knowing that pro III or RS4 is the one to look out for is a big help!

DT Swiss? Or an older DT Hügi? I have one of those rear hubs and it sounds like an angry bee thanks to the ratchet rings instead of pawls. It has sealed bearings.

DT Swiss? Or an older DT Hügi? I have one of those rear hubs and it sounds like an angry bee thanks to the ratchet rings instead of pawls. It has sealed bearings.
Also worth looking for own brand hubs that were made by other people. Coda 900 hubs were in fact DT hugi, GT hubs on the later zaskars were made by hadley.

All that said, Hope all the way really if you get the pro 3s or I believe the RS4 does come in non disc as well, being in stock may be another issue.
I'd agree with hope, pro 3 I think are the versions without disc mounts. I have a set with the 135mm rear adapter waiting for that rainy day build along with some NOS 717s.

I can't think of many other MTB hubs I've had personally as like you, think some are too spendy. I've always thought goldtech or Middleburn hubs look good but finding some can be a challenge, especially a matching pair.

White industries or Hadley might be nice options.
That red front Middleburn will turn up one day.....!

Back