Schumacher badly injured in a skiing accident

Neil

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Here's hoping he pulls through and makes a decent, hopefully full, recovery.

technodup":2kxjjrqg said:
Will he cheat death like he cheated Hill, Massa, Alonso...?

I said pretty much that to my wife this morning and got told off. :(

It was Hill that changed my attitude towards him, but despite that I wish him no ill after all this time.

technodup":qc2ohjyn said:
Will he cheat death like he cheated Hill, Massa, Alonso...?

Well whilst I roundly and firmly see Adelaide '94 as quite a low moment for Schumacher, same for Jerez '97 and Monaco '06 - all that said, in '94 he comprehensively out performed Hill over the season, and in some cases was punished for the sins of his team - which is how it works, but all the same.

As to Massa, not sure what you're driving at, there, unless it's the team-mate thing, as with Barrichello. Thing is, in terms of the team-mate thing - and I'm sure Herbert also has a view - he was comprehensively better, why wouldn't the team favour him.

Whilst I've been more of a fan of Webber than Vettel - and I'd love to see everything even - you'd have to say, whether it leaves a nasty taste or otherwise - didn't / doesn't it make sense for Red Bull to nail their metaphorical colours to the mast with Vettel (not that they've been truly bold enough to do so truly openly and overtly).

I assume with the mention of Alonso you mean Monaco '06 - and if so, on balance, I'm going with what the majority of F1 drivers seemed to opine at the time - professional foul - which is how I saw Adelaide '94 and Jerez '97. All the same, he has been a spectacularly great F1 driver, that on occasion has overstepped the mark of ruthlessness - similar to how Senna and Prost did in previous times.

Yes, he made mistakes, and was a naughty boy at times. But his abilities, focus, game-changing work-ethic, and never-say-die efforts, as well as his accomplishments, make him one of, if not, the, greatest F1 champions ever.

I was largely ambivalent to him in his prime (much like I am for Vettel, now) - he didn't seem to endear people, then, he seemed to appeal to those drawn to the success at any cost bunch. Towards the end of his first F1 stint, though, I wanted to see him retire a champion, and when he returned, he seemed a much more endearing character.

Like him, or loathe him, he has entertained millions, and yes, at times, made bad judgement calls. I hope he pulls through and makes a full recovery. Forza Michael!

Whatever you think of Schumacher the driver as a human being away from the sport he is absolutely top notch. He has always been fiercely protective of his private life to protect his family.

Also his donations to charities over the years have been massive, a good example being his donation to the tsunami relief fund where his $15m donation was larger than several countries. In his last 3 years in F1 he gave over $50m to charities from his earnings and has built and maintained children's hospitals in several countries in Africa, South America and the Balkans.

As a long term F1 fan I always enjoyed watching him race as he had a remarkable skill set.

Tazio":1stkri8m said:
Also his donations to charities over the years have been massive
If I were him I'd have a guilty conscience too.

I'm not wishing him ill, but neither will I forget that his achievements are tainted to many.

I've not seen a helmet debate for at least a week. Did it save him or should it have protected him more? Would a polystyrene Giro have seen him complete his run?

technodup":2trs0zq6 said:
Tazio":2trs0zq6 said:
Also his donations to charities over the years have been massive
If I were him I'd have a guilty conscience too.

I'm not wishing him ill, but neither will I forget that his achievements are tainted to many.

So ignoring 94, then - he still achieved lots - how were those other WCs tainted?

That his team were happy to give him number one status, and true enough, there were instances where his teammate moved / had to move over for him. Quelle surprise - 'cos it's not like there's any history of that before or since, is there.

Not truly getting why he should have such a guilty conscience - sure, he's had some questionable moments - and so have several, revered F1 drivers - but the only one that I can see that has direct bearing on a big outcome being Adelaide '94. But then lots happened that year, and at the time I actually wanted Hill to win. But if you look back over '94, Schumacher was the stand out driver, that even after being banned for 3 races, he was still leading the WC.

Whether we like it, or not, for all the years in F1 where he was in his prime, he was clearly better than his teammates. And as a result, got number 1 status. Same with Vettel at Red Bull, same with Alonso at Ferrari - should Alonso have a guilty conscience for the times that Massa has had to move over, or Ferrari break the seal on his gearbox to relegate him some places so that Alonso was higher up the grid?

technodup":2trs0zq6 said:
I've not seen a helmet debate for at least a week. Did it save him or should it have protected him more? Would a polystyrene Giro have seen him complete his run?

Despite the fatuous point, there - the doctor in the video seems unequivocal, without the helmet, he'd apparently not have survived.

I ended up in a French hospital on a boarding trip last year. 19 staples in my head and a broken ankle for my troubles.
Hospital was the biggest shit hole I've ever been in

Latest posts

Back