Saxon Claud Butler

markpin

Retro Newbie
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could tel me anymore about my bike? I have owned it since the mid 70s but it originally belonged to my Uncle who lived in South London during the 50s when he first got the bike. I assume he got it new but I have no way of being sure if it is a 50s bike or possibly even older. It is a Saxon with a lugless frame, chrome ends to the forks and rear wheel braces. It was originally a four speed freewheel hub when I first got it. The rear stays are very thin but have never shown any weakness so clearly designed for the job well. The bike has signs of hand paint coachwork lines. All the pictures of similar Saxons I can find which look slightly similar are the twin tube type which mine is not. I think from what I have read that it might well actually be a Claude Butler version of the Saxon which would agree with it being early 50s.

I am only interested because I have owned the bike for so long and am currently upgrading it to more modern equipment. Having already changed it in the seventies to a 5 speed and then again in the nineties to a 10 speed, it is only the frame, handles bars and brake parts that remain from the original bike unfortunately, I wasn't really thinking long term when I changed it as a 13 year old. Either way, the frame is still strong and its the only road bike I will ever own if I can help it. The modifications I am making now will just allow me to ride it until I'm as old as it is now, hopefully.

If you have any information about these bikes or someone who I could contact with a few pictures, I would be very interested to find out more.

Thanks

Re:

Hi, there are bits and pieces around the internet on Saxon but it is very limited, Saxon were a well respected builder before the war, but the brand was bought by Claud Butler after the war. It is more than likely a Claud, piccies would help, you can use a photo website ( i.e. Flickr ) and place a link here, or upload a small size piccie here after a number of posts, the serial number on the bottom bracket will also help, it is probably in a Claud format, which is easy to use to date. There's not many Saxon's about, so look after it. Thanks Terry

Re:

Yes, I saw that picture during my research. I agree, its hard to find info and i have been though the classic lightweight site a bit already.

My bike is not the twin tube version but its similar in a number of ways so it is probably the Claud Butler era as suggested. Mine has brazed lugless construction but still has the chrome fork and stay ends like the one on the link. I did wonder about the frame number but I read that Claud Butler used a 6 digit and I have 7 numbers : 524 1443. How do these numbers work?

Re:

From the Claud Butler number info I have just read on another post, my number of 524 suggests April 1952 I think and the other number of 1443 must be the unique identifier bit logically?

Is that correct?

Re:

Hi, yes, that is a correct assumption, it is a classic claud serial number. Thanks Terry

Thanks

Its good to know
That means my bike is only ten years older than me though so hopefully we can both keep going for a long time to go.

Back