Santa Cruz Chameleon (1998+)

Tsia

Retro Newbie
Hey everyone, recently found this forum thanks to some Facebook Marketplace browsing and thought I'd get a post up about the bike I'm 'restoring' at the moment. I picked up an old Santa Cruz Chameleon (MK2) which I originally believed to be a pre 1998 frame/MK1, but it turns out I was plain wrong. It's a MK2.

Pictures speak a thousand words, or so they say - so here's how it looked the day of collection.

IMG_1398.JPG

Upsides: The frame was in great condition. Everything generally worked.
Downsides: Just about every component was old, worn out or simply of poor quality. Bottom bracket cup was seized in to the frame too - but more on that to come.
First things first was stripping it down and realising that I don't actually have the right tool to remove Octalink cranks! I got it down as far as I could then popped to the local Halfords to ask for a spot of help there.
IMG_1419.JPG

So far so good! Off to the powder coaters it went once I'd stripped all the remaining 'protective duct tape' off the frame. I decided as I wanted to build a modern spec on an older frame, it would be fun to go with a similar theme to the latest Chameleon... so here we have it in beautiful RAL 1028:
IMG_1767.JPG

I then began re-assembly. Stupidly, might I add - because I'd forgotten all about that bottom bracket that took a LOT of work to remove. Thankfully, the threads just need a little chasing - so there'll be another short trip to a shop in the week - another tool I don't have.

IMG_1854.JPG

And here's how it sits today. I've swapped out the bars and stem to something a bit less awful than it had before, and to give me a little more width - as well as adding a dropper seatpost and some cable-to-hydraulic hose guides to tidy up the routing. I've since bought some bits off Marketplace that I'm waiting for - namely a SRAM 1x12 setup, and waiting for a response on a set of Mavic Crossrides before I order some proper tyres. I'm keen to build this properly, but I don't want to go spending silly money on it, so I'd rather wait for the odd bits to appear here and there. Once I've sorted out the drivetrain and made it rideable - the forks will be next!

Spec below
Frame: Santa Cruz Chameleon MK1 (late)
Forks: Rockshox Reba Solo Air 120mm
Bars: Brand-x 740mm, 31.8mm (due to be cut down I think)
Stem: DMR Defy 35
Seatpost: Brand-x 100mm 27.2 dropper post with remote lever
Saddle: Charge Spoon
Brakes: Shimano Deore hydraulic disc
Cranks: SRAM SX Eagle 170mm 32T
Pedals: DMR V6 Nylon
Rear derailleur: SRAM SX Eagle 12sp
Shifter: SRAM SX Eagle 12sp
Cassette: SRAM 12sp (for use on regular freehub body)
Chain: SRAM Eagle 12sp
Wheels: MTX33 with Shimano hubs
Tyres: Maxxis High Roller

That's all for now - will post updates here as they come!

Last edited:
Only a very slight update - picked up a 'donor' bike locally with some slightly more recent XC28 forks as well as MTX33 wheels on Shimano hubs with some fresh Maxxis tyres. Please ignore the dork disc and the old cassette - they'll be coming off shortly in favour of my 1x12 setup when all the bits arrive!

Attachments

• IMG_1868.JPG
    IMG_1868.JPG
    651.2 KB · Views: 30
I bought a new hardtail in March. Really like the looks of the latest Chameleon but they were 4 months away so settled for something else. You've done a great job on your bike- love it!

Taken it in today to get the handlebars shaved down a bit and those BB threads chased. Shop seems a bit busy so it likely won't be before the weekend that I get the bike back, but ah well. I'll be ordering the cassette tonight and I think that's it as far as components go - just a few little niceties like a chainstay protector from a Megatower, and then we'll be good to take it out for it's first ride!

IMG_1938.JPG

Cassette has arrived - the final piece of the puzzle before I can go and ride it! However, the only spacer I have isn't quite right so I've ordered a pack of various widths so I can get that tightened up properly. Mostly posting this because I think a 50t cassette looks ridiculous on a 26 inch wheel :LOL:
Also got a small head badge on the way to replace it with a 'proper' one rather than the sticker, as well as a temporary chainstay protector until my official SC one arrives. Still on the lookout for some better forks, but in the meantime I'm really happy with the cost/spec/etc. of the build so far.

IMG_1399 (2).JPG
IMG_1990.jpg

And we're just about done for now. Had a few issues with the lockring on the cassette making contact with the frame, so had to pop a washer on the axle to space that out a little. It's in a state where I can now actually take it for a ride, so hopefully I'll get out on it this weekend!

Future plans will include some fresh, sealed bearing hubs and a nicer set of forks. Gives me something to upgrade later on down the line, though!

IMG_3153.JPG

As promised, one set of decent forks (Reba) coming up! Giving them a service and changing the air spring to give 120mm of travel, and finally sorting out some paint damage from previous cable rub! Was quite a task finding something without a tapered steerer, for 26 inch wheels *and* QR.

Last edited:
I've just bought an early one of these for my son - I have a 2021 version so felt like a nice link.

Won't be as nicely finished as yours, mind (basic build/cost) but lovely bikes and yours looks great in that colour.

Where did you get the stickers from?

I've just bought an early one of these for my son - I have a 2021 version so felt like a nice link.

Won't be as nicely finished as yours, mind (basic build/cost) but lovely bikes and yours looks great in that colour.

Where did you get the stickers from?
Just a place on eBay that does decals - they're nothing fancy! :)

Rebas freshly serviced, air spring replaced with a 120mm unit and the forks generally tidied up. Downside is... I was a touch off with my steerer measurements and now need a stem with a slightly shorter stack. Planning to order a DMR Defy (50mm) as I fancy bit of a shorter stem on it now that I've been riding with a 70mm anyway.

IMG_3603.JPG

Back