2000s Salsa A La Carte

RadioShed":1xwv0uqb said:
Nice! I do like a Salsa

Thanks! I've put the spds on again -- flatties just weren't working on the uphills.

Also looking to change the stem to something a bit more stylish -- the orange one is going on another build.

RadioShed":3qwg6xs3 said:
I put a Salsa stem on my Bandito

I found a cheap Salsa Moto Ace stem on eBay which is on its way -- should work nicely.

Attachments

• moto ace.jpeg
    moto ace.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 527
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
ibbz":2un1thw6 said:
Nice! Looking good!
I was looking at a salsa a la carte on eBay recently - same as this I think
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164589307135

Wow, yes, that's virtually identical -- although mine doesn't have the "handmade in the USA!" decal.

I'd love to know how it handles with the Salsa fork.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
moonlite":15ibus52 said:
RadioShed":15ibus52 said:
I put a Salsa stem on my Bandito

I found a cheap Salsa Moto Ace stem on eBay which is on its way -- should work nicely.

Well the stem arrived and it's for a 1" steerer! My bad record on eBay continues.

Re:

I've got a frame to rebuild with a 1" steerer. I'm just politely enquiring if that stem is surplus to requirements?

Re: Re:

RadioShed":cu9qm2sy said:
I've got a frame to rebuild with a 1" steerer. I'm just politely enquiring if that stem is surplus to requirements?

Hi there -- apologies but I have passed the stem on to a fellow cyclist here in Australia.

Is your build on a Salsa frame?

Bit of an update on the trusty Salsa -- and a stuck-seatpost story to boot.

When I built the bike, I used a USE Alien aluminium post because it was nice and light. It had already been fitted to my Orange P7, Orange Sub5, and even a Giant road bike for triathlon purposes. But after a decade in humid Singapore, I realised the post was well and truly stuck. It wasn't a bother initially, as it was the right height and there were no plans to sell the bike.

But then, in the middle of a ride, the seat started to swivel slightly and it turned out the head of the seatpost was coming loose. On fiddling with it, I managed to detach it entirely. And then the stuck post became a problem.

I tried all the usual early steps: penetrating oil, gentle persuasion, etc. but it wasn't budging and it dawned that removing the post would entail its destruction. So the gentle persuasion became a bit heavier, with a pipe wrench wrapped in tape for twisting, and a couple of sharp blows with a rubber hammer. No dice.

I was reluctant to use heat or caustic soda, not to mention cutting it out, as I didn't want to damage the frame paint, so I thought freezing it with a spray made for the purpose might do. I even bought one.

Still there was no joy. Then last week, a cold front came through and temps overnight dropped to -3C -- including in the uninsulated shed housing my bikes. And the next time I had a look at the seatpost, I was able to twist it! So a quick tug or two and it was out. I'm not sure if the penetrating oil finally worked or if the cold did the trick. Probably both in combination.

What interests me now is that it's clear that Singapore's humidity caused quite a significant amount of rust between the seatpost and the frame (see pics below). Now I just want to be sure that rust is contained and doesn't spread unseen. And the replacement seatpost will be carbon fibre.

Attachments

• IMG_6958.jpg
    IMG_6958.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6959.jpg
    IMG_6959.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back