Rockhopper Comp year?

veets

Retro Newbie
Can anyone help me date this Rockhopper Comp? The paint scheme, dark blue in the rear fading to a dark grey metallic in front, doesn't seem to match any that I've seen in the catalogs online. Some parts have been swapped out, but I believe the brakes and cranks are original. Based on that and the stem type I think it's in the range of 1991-1993.
I've only seen two like this. One of them has a serial number starting M1K. I don't know the serial on the other. I've seen speculation elsewhere about dating based on serial numbers, but those serial numbers started with two letters and then a numerical digit, so this is a mystery to me.
It's definitely not aluminum, based on the frame rust.
I guess it could have been possible that the bike was repainted, but based on seeing two of them, and the quality of the paint transition on one, I believe it's an original color scheme. Is it possible that there were different color schemes for different countries or regions, or some small-batch exceptions? The catalogs I've seen from the 88-96 range are mostly in German, so it makes me wonder.

Any experts out there?

Attachments

• ezgif.com-gif-maker.jpg
    ezgif.com-gif-maker.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 38
  • ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).jpg
    ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 39
  • ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).jpg
    ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 39
Brakes are BR-M650, stamped PE and PG. Based on what I've read elsewhere, P means 1991 and E is May, G is July. So does that reliably rule out 1993? (and 1992?)

Remember model years were often released early. So a bike purchased in say July 91 could actually be what's classed as the 92 model.

He did suggest some parts were not original, hence I suggested using rhe chaninset and wheels to date the bike as theyre least likely to be swapped out. Indeed, he believes the ctanks are original so I'm puzzled as to why he has not read the date code from those as yet.

Yes, I've decided it's a 1992. "Graphite" in the catalog is not the best description, because it's a two-color scheme, but I am 100% convinced that it's a 1992. Thanks for all your help.

Back