drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The Retrobike RetroRoadRide Series 2014

Round 2: Church End Brewery Ride ~ Warwickshire

:: Date: Sunday 4th of May 2014
:: Location: Church End Brewery, Ridge Lane, Warwickshire, CV10 0RD :: Contact: 01827 713080
:: Time: 10:00am meet for a prompt 10:30am start.

:: NO HELMET, NO RIDE

RB-Warwickshire-01.jpg

It’s time for the brewery ride again, so shave those legs and apply embrocation and chamois cream in preparation.

As in previous years there will be two rides departing from the brewery –

1. A 55ish mile romp through various counties.
2. A very steady 35 mile plod around some of the more salubrious bits of North Warwickshire.

Harry Porter AKA Ken will be leading the plod, whilst grumpycommuter will be doing the honours on the longer route.

The aim of both rides is to have as much fun as possible. There will a pub stop on each route allowing time for refreshments, admiring of groupsets or the lack of them and other general bike-related nonsense.

On our return if anyone wants a nose around the brewery then grab Karl and he’ll give you a guided tour.

The car park is available for trading of bike related tat if anyone feels the urge.

See below for details of each ride...

:: Long ride: Courtesy of Karl – This year we are going to be visiting the four counties of Leicestershire, Warwickshire, Staffordshire and Derbyshire and I have a horrible feeling that even in all that lot there will be no hills at all! Lots of leafy country lanes and B roads with two crossings of the roman road Watling Street as well. We will be skirting past the wonderfully named Ashby de la Zouch as well as travelling through Mancetter, site of a roman fort and one of the possible locations for Boadicea’s big punch up with the Romans. Whatever did they do for us?

:: The Plod: Courtesy of Ken - Please see the following link for your print-out-and-throw-away
souvenir Google map of the pootler's route.

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214 ... a95c&msa=0

The route as drawn is a 36 mile circuit. It's previewed clockwise but we'll try it anti- as well just in case that proves preferable. The emphasis is on single track lanes but it includes some B roads for stretching the old legs and the novelty of a gated lane closed to cars. There are ups and downs but nothing ferocious.

One of it's many attractions is that those who fancy something even shorter can short-circuit the thing at Meriden. In that case the halfway point is either the Queen's Head or Bull's Head at Meriden.

However it is well worth pressing on to Barston to visit the excellent Bull's Head. In view of the difficulty of obtaining cheese sandwiches at Sunday lunchtime, especially on a bank holiday, we may of place an advance order for sarnies and chips at Barston. If fellow Retrobates who wish to join in the snacking respond to this post, grumpycommuter will add up the numbers and order accordingly.

file.php

Please sign up on this thread!

Given I could just about reach the car park with a glassy marble and a catapult from my sons bedroom window I don't see why not!........

feetabix":29mk91kt said:
Given I could just about reach the car park with a glassy marble and a catapult from my sons bedroom window I don't see why not!........

I may be able to manage it without the catapult :LOL:

I may be able to manage the pootle!

Carl, will you do where's Wally again while I have a pint?

argh. desperate to make it up for this one as the inlaws only live round the corner. gutted i can't :(

Meh!.........Can't come :cry: :cry: Sorry chaps, anyways don't want to have the pee taken too much for having "an outfit that costs more than Robins bike". I can only take it a couple of times a year ;) ;)

Enjoy! with a capital E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back