RetroJIM's 1991 Marin Sausalito

What should I do?

• 1. Sympathetic restoration, keeping everything as original as possible.

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • 2. New powder coat and upgraded period correct components.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Gravel Bike conversion with drop bars.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • 4. Flat bar Gravel bike retromod type thing.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • 5. It's crap just sell it on.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

retroJIM

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I've just picked this up because;

1. It was cheap
2. It was in my size
3. It was local

It has 700c wheels and I optimistically wondered if it could be entered into this months BOTM. I've since realised that I won't be able to fix it up in time or to the required standard. But it does beg the question what I should do with it? It's almost completely original but has some bad rust spots in places. The Groupset is Shimano Exage 400LX and everything seems to work OK. It's been pretty well maintained with just one previous owner.

As I see it I have a few options which I've added to a Poll.

So what should I do? Help me decide!

IMG20211121165758.jpg

Marin Sausilito.jpg

Bascally as GT pulse says, then sit back and give it a couple of coats of looking at, the frame being full double butted chromoly means it definately isn't crap...

Magic eraser and water to lubricate would probably bring the worst of that up. It will remove the rust spots without damaging the paint finish. Certainly a cheap and relatively risk free method, as always worth trying a non visible area first.

The seat post qr lever while they do come up with a bit of scotchbrite the last one I needed to do was too pitted - I’ve had some success buying a cheap unbranded new one, heating up the rubber cover on the old one and transplanting it.

Going by option 5, your heart is not that in to it.
So, option 1 seems the most effective.
Just a overhaul and get it going. Plenty of amberwall 700c available too.

Going by option 5, your heart is not that in to it.
So, option 1 seems the most effective.
Just a overhaul and get it going. Plenty of amberwall 700c available too.

Just wanted to get a broad spectrum of opinions. I don't intend to sell it regardless of what the poll might say. If anyone votes for 5 they're probably on the wrong forum. :)

Back