Retro Triathlon Bikes ??????????????????????????????????????

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
For as long as I can remember, how come we never see Retro Triathlon bikes pass this way?

Just curious. Not a fan of Triathlon in particular, just bikes. Let's discuss....

To get the ball rolling, found this when scanning the local ads.....and yes, it's weird as *uck, as you would expect from the early Triathlon scene trapped in a world of it's own (de)regulations and standards. Personally can't imagine mounting this wearing only a pair of swimming trunks, but all the same a good candidate for conversation and running uber fast errands.

Attachments

• 4b76af6a1a5617aa1b91c5027fd2a2cd5f45ceb2.jpg
    4b76af6a1a5617aa1b91c5027fd2a2cd5f45ceb2.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 1,305
Re:

As your photo demonstrates, they were ugly buggers. Funny slopes, 26in wheels and tribars.

Re: Re:

pigman":3teirlqo said:
As your photo demonstrates, they were ugly buggers. Funny slopes, 26in wheels and tribars.

Actually, the above Wheeler is rather clean looking leaving the geometry aside.

Is there simply no love for Triathlon bikes and they all go to the tip?

My own experience with a few triathletes I chatted to gave me the impression they would put loads of money in their bike stuff year after year and seemed hell bent advocating very strange ideas about bikes, position and weight saving.

Attachments

• 1989-trimble-aero-34046_2.jpg
    1989-trimble-aero-34046_2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,252
These were allot better & retro

C4QAhsPVYAAlRCw.jpg:large

The few older ones I've dealt with were unsellable piss soaked, corroded pieces of shit.

You'd think if someone had spent £10k on the latest aero Tri superbike they would actually spend some time looking after it.

Apparently not.

I'd guess a lot of them have been bolted to a turbo, scrapped/written off or buried at the back of the garage, either stripped of useful parts, or complete.

I sent one mate back home when he brought his Tri bike round for some new parts a couple of years ago. His last race had involved pissing and vomiting on it. He hadn't used it or cleaned it in the intervening 6 months..... Still had the half full bottle on it.

This is, unfortunately, not unusual.

mattr":smafhqj4 said:
The few older ones I've dealt with were unsellable piss soaked, corroded pieces of shit.

You'd think if someone had spent £10k on the latest aero Tri superbike they would actually spend some time looking after it.

Apparently not.

I'd guess a lot of them have been bolted to a turbo, scrapped/written off or buried at the back of the garage, either stripped of useful parts, or complete.

I sent one mate back home when he brought his Tri bike round for some new parts a couple of years ago. His last race had involved pissing and vomiting on it. He hadn't used it or cleaned it in the intervening 6 months..... Still had the half full bottle on it.

This is, unfortunately, not unusual.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Absolute gem! If there were support cars in Triathlon events then they would need to carry Dettol too. FFS.

What sort of triathlon are we talking about here? Back in the 80s and 90s it only seemed to be proper long distance events in hot-looking places and it needed some serious dedication. Today it's Olympic and sprint distances which are quite manageable by most people with minimal training and kit. I used to do Olympic distance triathlon on old bikes. Early 90s 6-speed Raleigh with nothing more than drop bars and downtube shifters used on one of them and my 70s Bob Jackson with at least some aero kit fitted.

Back