Resurrecting my dad's Retrobike for my son.

DeoreDX

Dirt Disciple
Original post here for more details on my Wheeler.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=205694

In the mid to late 90's my dad and I used to bike together quite a bit. He fell in love with the sport and always wished he had found mountain biking eariler. He bought himself a pretty entry spec Raleigh M50 and I gave him some old parts (my old Vector 2) and put some brake boosters and Koolstops on there to make riding more fun. After I stopped riding in the early 2000's he still continued to ride with friends until his back started giving him enough troubles that he was no longer able to ride. His bike has been hanging in his garage the last 10 years. My brother borrowed it on occasion and found out the seat post had oxidized itself to the frame. My dad and brother ended uptearing up the old suspension seat post trying to get it unstuck and it's been sitting sans seat post for the last 6-7 years.

Since my past post my son is now 10 riding on a 24" rigid bike. He's been itching for a big bike but I don't want to buy him a really full sized 27.5 until he grows up a bit. Dad said my son can have his old bike if we can get the seat post un-stuck. 6 hours later we have the seatpost out and I'm now taking bits apart giving it a once over.

48358465906_6043976318_b.jpg

I took the old Vector apart and cleaned and lubed all the pivot points. I checked the shock and it had plenty of oil and seemed to be working. I switch springs out because my dad's was too stiff and and now that I'm 42 instead of 20 I could use the heavier spring. Son loves it especially the Vector because it's like his dad's and so different from anyone else's bike. I'm putting it on a crash course diet cause as it sits at 31.8lbs it tires my son out much faster on the trail than his old 24". Tire, new seat post, and removing the bar ends has it at 30.6lbs right now. New tubes, saddle, and another tire should get it under 30lbs.

48322500882_a54737bff1_b.jpg

Re:

Agreed, a fine looking pair with the vectors up front :)

At a quick glance the chainset (steel rings?) and wheel set look pretty heavy to me... replacing these with lighter items may push you under the 30lb barrier. Good luck with the refurb!

Back