Restoration advice on 1996 Kona Kilauea

Re: Re:

flyagaricus":1jb40w15 said:
So you figure the groupset has been replaced as well?

Yep. Rear derailleur and cranks are early to mid 2000s.

Can't see the front derailleur or shifters to tell. V brakes not original so assume the brake levers are more recent as well.

Not that any of that is a criticism - would rather see a vintage Kona being kitted with new bits to keep it being used.

I do love Konas from that era, nice playful geometry.

Grumps

flyagaricus":2vnq2xf4 said:
pipmeister":2vnq2xf4 said:
Hello and welcome to Retrobike.

With a quick glance, there seems to be very few original components on your bike, but you do have some key OEM parts: Project Two Triple Butted Forks, Impact Headset, O-Beam Seatpost, Velocity Stem - from what I can see, the remainder are replacements.

You can view the original components that were fitted by referring to the 1996 catalogue listed on this site: here

..... and here is the relevant specification page from the 1996 catalogue:

Pip

Attachments

• Catalogue 1996 UK_page48.jpg
    Catalogue 1996 UK_page48.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 67
Hi and welcome to the forum.

A nice bike you have there, they are great riding frames.

Like pip has already said, the original parts are the frame, fork, headset, stem, seatpost and by the looks of it the front mech, also of course the seatpost clamp and dog collar. As is the case a lot of the time, the catalogue specs are not always reliable, the front mech was a Sachs, used on a few of the range. I have one somewhere, also the Curve brakeset taken from mine back in mid '90's :D

Uncle Grumpy":1c7tzmts said:
flyagaricus":1c7tzmts said:

Yep. Rear derailleur and cranks are early to mid 2000s.

Grumps

That makes a lot of sense. When properly tuned, it shifts beautifully. Can't say I had much experience with many shifters in the 90's, but I felt like this bike shifted smoother than expected from a bike of that era.

pipmeister":3bvliea8 said:
flyagaricus":3bvliea8 said:
pipmeister":3bvliea8 said:
Hello and welcome to Retrobike.

With a quick glance, there seems to be very few original components on your bike, but you do have some key OEM parts: Project Two Triple Butted Forks, Impact Headset, O-Beam Seatpost, Velocity Stem - from what I can see, the remainder are replacements.

You can view the original components that were fitted by referring to the 1996 catalogue listed on this site: here

..... and here is the relevant specification page from the 1996 catalogue:

Pip

Dude, thanks - I've been looking for a list like that with no avail!

Latest posts

Back